Headed to Delaware

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stillageek, May 13, 2010.

1. stillageek macrumors newbie

Headed up to Delaware tomorrow to pick up a Macbook Pro (saving $140 in taxes by buying there!). I wanted a high res screen, but it seems the only model stocked in Apple stores (my local store and the Delaware store)with the high res screen is a Core I7 high res with antiglare...pretty $$$$$. Is this "normal" to not stock high res screens in any other model or just coincidence?

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Don't know much about the new MacBook Pros but, my MacBook Pro (less than 2 months old) has an OLED screen. Don't the new ones have that?

3. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Psst! *whispers* Your MacBook Pro, definitely, undeniably, certainly, indubitably, does not have an OLED screen. *whispers*

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Are you sure the Titanium uMBP didn't come with one? :rolleyes:

See his sig.

5. andrew086 macrumors regular

hmm. you could have saved yourself some time by buying at at macmall.com, no tax and you can still bto.

6. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

:eek: I'm so embarrassed for not noticing it. I shouldn't be saying things his MacBook Pro from the future has or does not have.

7. stillageek thread starter macrumors newbie

I also get a discount through my employer which is slightly better than the education discount

8. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

Obviously you're in the N E USA but to save 140 dollars your gonna spend like 50 or so on gas or 60 on a round trip train ticket, then have to get to the apple store so then a taxi, then maybe a meal if you get hungry so in essence you'll be saving about 30 dollars, that seems counter productive to me. I avoided taxes and shipping costs by ordering from powermax.com. granted I did not have to have the machine the next day so your situation maybe different but it doesn't seem like its worth the hassle.

9. stillageek thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah I am in the south. Free airline ticket (I work for an airline), $25 (all in) Hertz Hybrid rental car all in (another airline discount), 70 miles round trip so at most $8 in gas, $15 for lunch and I'm still ahead more than $100 and can see Philly and Delaware if I want

10. shadygrove macrumors regular

Totally different out here in the midwest. I have never heard of anyone driving across state lines (around here) to avoid paying sales tax or of a store that would omit the tax just because the person said they were from out of town. :confused:

11. wandrer2 macrumors member

To answer your original question: yes, this is normal. Stores seem to have a limited number of models, and I've only heard of them stocking the high-end model with antiglare.

So if you order an i5 online, you're saving a bit more than those 140 dollars, and a hell of a lot of time!

12. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I live in SE Pennsylvania (about 30 minutes outside Philly and 45 minutes from the Delaware border) and folks around here will frequently drive to Delaware (the land of tax-free shopping) to save the 6% PA sales tax on big ticket items.
    Used to be able to buy a car there and save the tax but PA got wise and put an end to that.:(

DE has cheap prices on booze, too.:D

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Actually, the state of Delaware does not have a sales tax for anyone. No one asks if you're from out of town. They just don't have a sales tax, period. Delaware is very pro-business and has banking-friendly policies (this is why many credit card companies base their operations there... though if you look at it the other way, Delaware has a LOT to do with why credit card companies can get away with so much) and the so the corporate income taxes they receive tends to offset the need to charge a sales tax.

And in the northeast, states tend to be smaller than in the rest of the country. From the NJ/PA/MD/DC area, it's a 1-4 hour round trip depending on where you are, and in a car with good mileage it's about $25-$35 in gas at current gas prices. When you're buying a macbook pro, that means you're easily saving over $100 if you're willing to invest the time. Plus you get instant gratification, and if you qualify for an educator or employee discount of some kind, those stay intact as well, saving you even more money.

To the OP: Unfortunately pre-configured CTO systems aren't commonplace at the Apple stores, because by definition, they're custom orders and aren't likely to appeal to enough people that they'd be guaranteed to move that inventory. They sometimes stock one or two models that are the most common CTOs, but everything else they would expect you to buy online.

Apple isn't taking into account that people are traveling far and wide to save on sales tax. Or, they're probably assuming that if you're willing to do that, then you're likely going to settle for a "stock" MBP.