Headed towards Mini 4/iPad Pro combo

Discussion in 'iPad' started by renault4, Sep 25, 2015.

1. renault4 macrumors regular

I like the idea of having a diverse set of approaches to getting a task done, so I have never been one to try and have the "one ring to rule them all," that is, to expect and treat any given platform (iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Desktop Mac) as one single unit intended to do everything all the time.

So here's where i am headed now: having used a iPad Air (not 2) and a 13" MBP Retina for a while, i have become determined to lighten my travel load even further. I have already pushed the button on an iPad Mini 4 and I am watching carefully the arrival of the iPad Pro as a laptop replacement. I'll keep the MBP around for the moment, however even though the iPad Pro is only version 1.0, I think we are seeing the evolution of the traditional laptop.

2. nickyD410 macrumors 6502

nickyD410

Ill have a similar setup just with a mini2. I would like to upgrade the mini but unless I fall into a pile of money I stick with the mini2 when I get the ipad pro.

3. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Right there as well. Picked up the mini 4 already to get it set up.

4. amoayeri macrumors newbie

I'm heading towards that direction as well. iPad mini 4 + pro

5. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

iOS is still a bit premature for me to go all iPad, but it's definitely a setup I'd like to consider once iOS reaches full maturity.

I'd definitely keep the MBP around for file system purposes.

6. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

Do you feel the iPad Air could, right now, smoothly replace the MacBook for you, with, say, the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard? If so, what you have in mind will work just fine. If not, what makes it hard, inconvenient, or impossible for you?

The iPad Pro is, in essence, "just" a larger and faster iPad. It even uses the same iOS version. For a large part, it won't do anything you can't already do on your iPad. (Granted, no stylus, and the Pro will be better in every way, but it won't be fundamentally different.)

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'm still keeping my MBP though. I'm not crazy.

8. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

You can never have too many iPads. For me iPads are like fire extinguishers, I have them all over the house and my office. Looking forward to the pro as well. If I had to, I could do everything on my Air 2 but multiple iPads are so much more interesting.

9. Serban Suspended

i like they way you go. I will keep 1 iPad air 2 but I'm considering buy the iPad pro, but for desktop i will never get rid of the 5k iMac or the future iMacs for home,even the 15" MBP i will still keep until they will do some major changes like TB3 etc
    But yes if the pencil has the v low latency as I'm told, then i will buy it for sure

10. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

I might've considered it if not for the fact that the new Retina MacBook is crazy light and yet handles everything I want to do on it with flying colours.

I really like the Mini's form factor but since I generally use my iPad for video more than browsing, I'm loathe to give up that screen real estate, especially given the huge black bars you get when watching 16:9 videos on a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Think I'll stick to my 6s Plus, Air 2 and rMB combo for now. Hope this'll work out for you though, sounds like exciting new territory.:D

11. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Me too. Some people have television in every room, I have iPads. A double storey house is one of my excuses, the other is that I do so much with them. Haven't decided yet about the Pro, but if I do get it I will give my iPad Air to a family member ... I really don't need 4 iPads!

12. renault4 thread starter macrumors regular

I think it is more an issue of timing than anything else. There is a clear emphasis now on enterprise that was not there (at least as much) before, the size and screen resolution and footprint is now at the laptop level. Up to now, I have always brought both laptop (13"rMBP) and iPad, believing that the former was needed as a serious tool for document creation and I see a concerted push into this arena with the Pro.

Is it there now? Is it mature? of course not, but I think it important to try and work out just how close (or far) it is; its all part of the fun and pain of early adoption!

13. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I am hopefully selling my mini 2 for a good deal, then I plan to do the same. iPad Mini 4, iPhone 6s+, and iPad Pro will get all my work done and more. November can't get here soon enough. lol

Kal.

14. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Me me me me me. I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I can live without a computer just fiiiiine.

Now apple give us that release date on the iPad Pro :)

15. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I struggled with this decision recently--wasn't using my iPad Air much, so I sold my Mac mini and iPad Air and used the money to buy a 13" rMBP. I love it, but immediately started missing having an iPad on those nights where I just want to go to bed early and read a book or watch Netflix.

So for me, it's going to be rMBP, iPad mini, iPhone, Apple Watch. I am 100% NOT on board with using iOS as my only productivity OS. It's just not ready. I work from home and often use my rMBP if I want to get away from the desk (I have a work laptop too, but it's kind of permanently docked and hooked up to my two big displays) and wander around the house. I need to be able to run various teleconferencing programs and I need more than two programs on the screen at once. I can also hook it up to my two big displays for gaming, podcasting, or any other serious tasks.

iOS is great, and I would love to be able to use an iPad full time for work, but in my experience over the last several years of working office jobs, that's just not how the business world operates right now. I know you can use remote desktop type setups to get to files and things that you need, but if you're going to do that, you should have just gotten a computer in the first place. At my job we all use community folders hosted on servers, multiple monitors, zillions of different types of software, etc. I don't care if you call it a "Pro" iPad--it's still an iPad running iOS. Screen size and processor don't change that. Yet.

16. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

I actually contemplated this...And I might just be crazy enough to do it.

I ADORE my iPad mini 4. It's snappy, light, thin, and fits everywhere. It even mounts to the dashboard in my car and is my "CarPlay" system. I own a MacBook 12" retina but I might just get an iPPro for my day to day. My business requires a lot of file stuff, which I can just leave for my 12" MacBook in the office.

17. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

This is what I'm doing. I had an iPhone 6 Plus which was far too large along with an iPad Air 2, which again was too large to be portable enough to take with me. I've now got a 6s and have a iPad mini 4 128Gb cellular on order, when it arrives I'm selling the cellular air 2. Then I'll have an Apple Watch, iPhone 6s, iPad mini 4, 13rMBP and a 27" iMac which I use as a server for streaming to Apple tv's. Hopefully this will work well for me!

Agree with you about ipad's just not being practical enough to be a sole work machine, even with the pro moniker it's still running the same is as an iPad mini and air.