Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zgraid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
I'm about to go to college. In fact, my classes start in three weeks. I'm going for a degree in advertisement design, involved are several typography, visual communication, graphic design and computer information classes. I dont own a computer. (My last was an 08' macbook of which my nephew obliterated with grape juice) I'm getting a substantial amount of student loans, and have asked a group of my tech savvy design friends if I should use the money to purchase a MBP. Of course, their answers were all the same, yes. But, they are all MBP owners, as well. My question is; should I use the aid to purchase the MBP I want? Or settle for a windows machine? Or, should I not use my loans at all to buy a computer, and just try to save for one between rent and bills? I've heard the adage... dont use borrowed money to purchase items that devalue. But under the circumstances?

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
I'm about to go to college. In fact, my classes start in three weeks. I'm going for a degree in advertisement design, involved are several typography, visual communication, graphic design and computer information classes. I dont own a computer. (My last was an 08' macbook of which my nephew obliterated with grape juice) I'm getting a substantial amount of student loans, and have asked a group of my tech savvy design friends if I should use the money to purchase a MBP. Of course, their answers were all the same, yes. But, they are all MBP owners, as well. My question is; should I use the aid to purchase the MBP I want? Or settle for a windows machine? Or, should I not use my loans at all to buy a computer, and just try to save for one between rent and bills? I've heard the adage... dont use borrowed money to purchase items that devalue. But under the circumstances?

Well... my answer is that you should get the computer you personally prefer the most. The equivalent Windows machine compared to rMBP won't be much cheaper if any.

PS. I'm studying design as well (vehicle design to be more specific) and I'm a happy owner of a rMBP. I could do with a Windows machine as well but I just prefer the Mac experience.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
First of all CONGRATS ON GOING TO COLLEGE! :D i just graduated, and my opinion is SAVE your money, don't go further into debt, since college is already a burden. Macbooks are surprisingly resilient. You can save up for one and improve it by upgrading the specs, usually installing an SSD and maxing out the RAM. Reward yourself after you have graduated and found a job :cool:

I suggest using macbooks over windows laptop because the COLOR of the display on a macbook is really good, like true to life good. Like print good, im not gonna go into details but when it comes to design you will appreciate the color calibration on your screen, any screen that you use.

The money you save will go to software, unless you go do the other thing, yarr har de har ar mateyy ;)

Going to design you will need money for a DSLR also, make sure you get an SLR compatible with the macbook, tethering will be important in the future.

Now go forth my young Padawan and may the force be with you!

eezacque

Feb 17, 2013
Well... my answer is that you should get the computer you personally prefer the most. The equivalent Windows machine compared to rMBP won't be much cheaper if any.

Possible, but they usually last longer. The bucks per year cost of a MacBook Pro is pretty bad...

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Possible, but they usually last longer. The bucks per year cost of a MacBook Pro is pretty bad...

Well... personally I don't have very good record with Windows machines. Most of them have started to slowly fail after one year of usage. Slow downs, bugs, freezes and other crap which drives me crazy. Currently my one year old rMBP works like a charm.

I think MacBook will give you much more pleasant experience even in the long run compared to Windows equivalent.

Of course this is just my personal preference based on my own experience.

eezacque

Feb 17, 2013
I think MacBook will give you much more pleasant experience even in the long run compared to Windows equivalent.

Of course this is just my personal preference based on my own experience.

If there is a 'much more pleasant experience', you are paying a premium for that.

In my experience, there is no 'long run' with Apple. I have seen several old windows laptops that are still doing a reasonable job, while I have yet to see an old MacBook Pro that is even booting.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
Not in my experience... Also, I don't see any reason why cost per year would be any higher on a mac than an equivalent PC unless you somehow include a lot of new software to the Mac that you don't include to the PC.

Price wise Apple's current lineup stands up pretty well when you do proper comparisons and don't do stupid crap like comparing the Air to a Chromebook (which are basically netbooks with a different OS) or Mac Pro to some gaming rig.

The only machines that have any kind real reliability advantage over Apple's current day offerings are business machines and they come with a pretty hefty premium.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

I don't own a rMBP, nor am I majoring in anything with graphics but I've heard that the rMPBs are pretty good in the graphics department. Most people who major in some form of graphic classes have a MBP. Plus, the rMBPs are pretty light and I'm pretty sure if you get a PC it'll be pretty heavy to lug around when you have 3 or more large books to take around on campus. Also, I have a MB Unibody from 2010 that still works perfectly and has excellent battery life. So far I've only lost 10% in the past 3 years, which is WAY better to what I would have gotten if I had purchased a Windows PC (would probably be on my fourth battery by now). If you go on your financial aid website, it may state that you can use your aid to buy things for school, like computers, transportation (car), etc. Here's what it says for my financial aid.

What can I use my remaining financial aid funds for?

After university charges have been paid, you may use any remaining financial aid funds to cover education-related expenses, including books and supplies; a personal computer or other education-related technology; and living and transportation expenses.

Since this is an educational expense, and you need a computer for college (yes, you definitely need one), spending money on a macbook would be ok. Hope this helps! :D

zgraid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
Thanks everyone for responding. I don't entirely 'need' an Apple machine, although I will need a computer. The rMBP is appealing to the field I'm entering. From a design standpoint, the ppi of an rMBP is outstanding, the depth of color, ease of use, and durability are all factors I'm considering. I've read other threads saying that Lenovo's Thinkpads are a cut above, as far as PCs go. At that price point I would rather just purchase the Mac. I'm at a crossroad where I need to decide if I should or shouldn't use my loans for this. Part of me feels it's a frivolous expense and a poor use of what I've been loaned, on the other hand I know i'll need one in the future. I came here and heard what I expected, everyone is generally agreeing that if not now, with my loans, at some point I should invest in a MBP. I'm going to match as much as I can out of pocket, as to soften the blow of my student loan reserve. Now, how do I go about discounts?

mojito

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
Go for it! I think I remember seeing a special offer for $100 off Apple products at Best Buy for college students right now too. It's on the forum somewhere. I think all it requires is a college e-mail address you're good to go.

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
If there is a 'much more pleasant experience', you are paying a premium for that.

In my experience, there is no 'long run' with Apple. I have seen several old windows laptops that are still doing a reasonable job, while I have yet to see an old MacBook Pro that is even booting.

Bold faced lies don't help prove your point. Everyone and their dog knows that Macs in general last far longer than windows machines. This isn't a matter of opinion. This is something that just about everyone has experience with.

Windows machines, on the other hand, are iffier. Primarily due to cheaper construction. When you buy a $300 notebook, corners are cut and that translates to a device that wears out faster.

The difference is buying a comparable windows machine. Which means you're also at the $1000 price point, and have the same kind of cost/year ratio as a MBP.

OP, it's my recommendation that you get a rMBP, and get it refurbed for significantly less, or use your student email to get an educational discount. Get one with 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD, and you'll be set for the time you're in college.

I design professionally and make my living from it, and use my MBP in conjunction with a 27" iMac. For quite a while I used only the rMBP with excellent results.

jolux

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2014

Surely you must be joking, Mr. Feynman...

I've been using the original MacBook Air since it came out, it still runs awesome and it's just so thin.

I don't really recommend anything but MacBooks to people anymore, unless they're hardcore PC gamers. Honestly every previously-Apple hater I've convinced to buy a MacBook has been on their knees apologizing to me within a week after getting theirs. It's actually kind of funny how fast people's minds change when they actually try the experience they aspire to hate.:D

OP, I'd recommend maxing out the RAM if possible, because it's not user upgradeable. Also, a hard budget would be nice. I'd be happy to do a config for you if you gave me a hard budget.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
Unless it is a requirement for your department, I would hold off on any non-essential purchases until you arrive there. There may be items which are required you have not anticipated.

A second point, remember if you pay for any laptop with student loan money you are going to be paying back more than that down the road due to interest on the loan. While at the same time the machine will have depreciated much more. I would consider buying a refurbished model or a very good second hand unit. If you buy a model just a year or 2 old you can save quite a bit and you will know the track record of the model from others.

When you graduate, you will want or need a new machine anyway and at that point the machine will hopefully be providing you with income.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
No, he doesn't.

He's just trying to put the flip on a paradigm that most people, Windows users included, already know to be true.

I figured. I've seen his posts in other threads and so far he's ignored my questions about his data. :rolleyes:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
You need a computer for college. Visual communication?
Get the rmbp in my sig. Get the 2013 version on a discount!
Its money well spent! Yolo :)

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
When I was at university (twenty years ago!), I "p****d my loan up against a wall" as we used to say, i.e. spent it on drink and other non essentials! Now, if I had bought a Mac (or similar) that would have been a useful tool that would have provided entertainment etc. too for my entire time at university, and I guess in the long run, I would simply have spent a bit less on other things spread out over the three years, and probably wouldn't have noticed, if you see what I mean. So, if I had my time again, I would buy the Mac and be done with it. That said, when I was at university, computers were so rubbish compared with what we enjoy now, my money probably was better spent on beer.

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Oh, and I forgot to add, having read some of the above, a Mac really is far, far better than a Windows machine. I promise you that they not only offer a far better user experience all round, in three years' time (or even many more) it will still be a joy to use. On the other hand, cheap plastic Windows machines seem to grind to a halt after about a year, clogged up with viruses and so forth, creaking in their cheap shells, looking and feeling clumsy and crap. You really do get what you pay for. I have seen countless cases of friends and colleagues, chuffed to bits with their latest "amazing deal" cheap computers which, a year later, are barely-used chunks of plastic as their owners scoop up the next "amazing deal". Stick with Mac. If need be, buy a refurb model that is a couple of years old. It will still look good and, more importably, feel good and give you years of good service. I am not an obsessive "Mac fan", but that is honest advice based on years of experience of both types of computer. Whoever was saying the opposite a few posts back is, in my opinion, completely wrong, and is probably just posting something so ludicrous to wind people up. If I were you, I would ignore that one.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
Go for it. Base 15 inch will last you 5 years or so. Upgrade the ram and hard drive.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The whole question I'd ask on the get a MBP vs. a windows machine debate. Did you find what your school requires? Before getting something be sure its in line with what they expect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.