Heading to CA for vacation, bringing my 3G...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by insocal, Aug 9, 2008.

1. insocal macrumors regular

Coming from Los Angeles.

Would love to be able to use it there and not pay a fortune. Even AT&T's International Plan is too expensive.

Is there any way to get a prepaid amount of minutes/data to use while there calling the States and receiving calls?

Or is there any kind of a program out there or a service that will let me do this?

Thanks so much for any help! Not looking to hack my iPhone just yet so something else if you know of anything.

Much appreciated!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. insocal thread starter macrumors regular

Good point! HA! Sorry, I always just assume my USER ID gives it away.

Heading to Canada from Los Angeles, CA.

4. insocal thread starter macrumors regular

Just checked out a company called CellularLD which seemed like a great deal at 5 cents per minute but then apparently if you're roaming, you'd also incur charges from your provider. So I'm not sure how this service would save me any money then.

5. cpljwlusmc macrumors regular

Call AT&T and ask. AT&T usually has worldwide roaming partners so it shouldn't cost so much. And when you call be sure to specify that you're using an iPhone. It seems that the iPhone operates completely different than other phones in nearly all aspects.

6. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Go to Ontario...maybe they'll think you are still in california...ontario, california that is.

7. insocal thread starter macrumors regular

HA! NICE!!!

I think Vancouver Island but be a little more scenic that Ontario, CA. But thanks for the laugh!

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Being that I am from Ontario, Canada, and more specifically Toronto, I couldn't disagree with you more. Ontario, Canada is plenty scenic.:)

BTW, in your OP, when you typed 'CA', I thought that you meant that you were going to California for vacation. CA isn't really a known short-form for Canada.

You could find out from AT&T if they have a decent international roaming plan to Canada, or when you get to BC, you could try to find a pay-as-you-go sim card in one of the cell phone stores.

My guess is that there's no chance that this is going to be cheap for you, considering what AT&T typically charges for roaming and considering the high prices in Canada for cell plans, even pay-as-you-go.

My advice would be to turn data roaming off, use the iPhone only in wifi (you could leave it in airplane mode with wifi on, but if anyone calls you, it wouldn't show up on the caller id), and to buy long distance calling cards and use payphones.

Don't forget to go to Tim Horton's..........

9. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

I grew up in Victoria BC and spent the last few years working in LA. Believe me, roaming charges ain't fun. I would recommend getting a cheap cheap prepaid phone from walmart or something when you are up here to use.

FYI - if you are heading to Victoria, there is an area called "Dallas Road" where you are considered to be in the US cellular network. We (Canadians) can't use our phones down there because we incur roaming charges from our Canadian Cellular providers.

10. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

it would be interesting if someone would call up AT&T and ask them to unlock their iphone so they could travel abroad. try citing the DMCA exemption(http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061124-8280.html), i know for pretty much all the other AT&T phones you can get an unlock code because of this.

11. AlphaBob macrumors regular

AlphaBob

I spent three weeks touring Nova Scotia and New Brunswick this summer and had the same concern.

After revieweing the iPhone3G international plan for Canada, I wound up using a T-Mobile pay-as-you-go SIM in an old unlocked GSM phone instead. It would have bankrupted me to use the iPhone with AT&T and the T-Mobile was less than 1/4 the cost per minute.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

You think that's bad, well try being a Canadian while traveling within Canada outside of your local calling area. In the US, you can call anywhere in the country or take your phone anywhere in the country and it's like a local call. Not so in Canada. You get roaming and long distance charges. I hated that while I was with Rogers in Toronto.

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Lol,this gave me a laugh. He wasn't talking about Ontario, Canada, he was talking about Ontario,CA. BIG difference. ;)

14. Surely Guest

Surely

Wow, I guess I had quite the brain fart when I read that post. I read it, and my brain processed it as if he/she said that Vancouver Island is a little more scenic that Ontario, Canada. Meanwhile, I was pointing out the whole CA thing. It's funny how that happens, eh?

Nice catch, abiyng87. :)
    BTW, I was in Hermosa Beach last weekend for the first time since moving out here. All I have to say is: Wow.:cool:

I may have to move there...... it's so nice.....

15. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

This thread title seems clear until one reads the thread.

CA=California (to Americans ;))

Canada=Canada

Throw Ontario into the mix... Epic confusion :rolleyes:

16. insocal thread starter macrumors regular