Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
Well today I have decided to pull the trigger today. I am heading to the apple store this morning to get either a macbook or macbook pro. I really can't decide on a black macbook or a macbook pro the huge issue i have is graphics problems. It seems the GMA950 that is in the macbook is a little underpowered for what i need it for. Also i have concerns with showing oil stays from my hands on the black macbook. On my thinkpad I use for work it shows some oil stains sometimes and it seems the casing has the same material tha the macbook has.

What does everyone think?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
if you need the dedicated graphics, then get the MBP. most people don't really know the difference, though, so don't fool yourself into thinking you need dedicated graphics if you really don't - the GMA950 is a very capable GPU.

the black MBs are nice machines but if you need/want a larger screen, a FW800 port, an ExpressCard slot, or are simply enticed by an illuminated keyboard, you'll have to go for the Pro.

i don't know much about the staining issues.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
Well if you really want the MBP and can afford it, then get it! But yeah I know what you mean about the oil staining. That's the reason why I got a white MB and not a black one. Hope you enjoy your new machine!

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
I just want to make sure I get something that is going to last for at least three years. The express card slot will also benefit me as well. Hmmm, at least I have a few hours to think about it!

bbergie

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2006
Calgary
I agree with the above commenters; if you can comfortably afford the Mac Book Pro, then get it. You'll get more processing power, more RAM, a better graphics card, and a nicer machine that will last you several years just fine.

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2006
MBP would be the way to go for longevity.
There is going to be a 15" MB coming out pretty soon though although I'm almost positive that that's going to have a built in graphics card in it too.

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
just wanted to let everyone know, that i got the macbook pro and am typing on it as i speak. there isn't any heat issues that i have noticed. it took me awhile to get all the info i needed off the imac G5. the macbook pro seems a lot snappier.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
But yeah I know what you mean about the oil staining. That's the reason why I got a white MB and not a black one.

in all fairness, people complained about staining on both the white and black models.

just wanted to let everyone know, that i got the macbook pro and am typing on it as i speak. there isn't any heat issues that i have noticed. it took me awhile to get all the info i needed off the imac G5. the macbook pro seems a lot snappier.

congratulations! be sure to let us know if you have any questions and make sure to browse the forums for general tips and advice :)

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
MBP would be the way to go for longevity.
There is going to be a 15" MB coming out pretty soon though although I'm almost positive that that's going to have a built in graphics card in it too.

Apple hasn't confirmed this yet, so until then it's all speculation.

kufel

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2007
New York
Well today I have decided to pull the trigger today. I am heading to the apple store this morning to get either a macbook or macbook pro. I really can't decide on a black macbook or a macbook pro the huge issue i have is graphics problems. It seems the GMA950 that is in the macbook is a little underpowered for what i need it for. Also i have concerns with showing oil stays from my hands on the black macbook. On my thinkpad I use for work it shows some oil stains sometimes and it seems the casing has the same material tha the macbook has.

What does everyone think?

the only one that can make that decision is you. I usually play along line,s what is more important, power/portability/price ?
Teh black macbook will fit most basic computer needs, and not so basic ones too :), although be aware, IT WILL SHOW oil stains that are hard to clean off after few months, keep ypur hand clean at all times or get a macbook pro, easier to clean!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.