Headless Mac Book Pro with No Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djbetterly, Jul 26, 2016.

1. djbetterly macrumors newbie

Is it possible to run a macbook pro headless with no monitor attached? I was curious if one of those display emulators they use with mac mini's would work on a mac book pro? Any ideas?

2. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

You want to run it like this?
    [​IMG]
    Just be aware of the wifi band when you dismount the screen.

3. djbetterly thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually we want the screen, but we need for it to run with the lid closed and have access via remote desktop.

4. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

Hmm I am not sure how it would work with a rMBP in clamshell mode without a screen physical connected. haven't used display emulators.
    but it should be doable, i would guess that is just going about it as you would with a headless mac mini

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Yep, I use one to filter spam email with SpamSieve, run an AirPrint server and cache downloads.

I use InsomniaX to stop it sleeping when the lid shuts (though the backlight does go off), SMCFanControl to keep the fans at a higher RPM as I'm not really sure what running it with the lid shuts does to the ventilation, and then just run what I want it to do.

Also have it connected to Ethernet so the internet doesn't drop if there's a power cut or something. I have to restart it about once a month as it gets a bit funny, but if you leave it alone it tends to be fine. I control it via sharing its screen over my local network, though it also works via Back to My Mac on other networks.

6. BebopGato macrumors newbie

I'm looking to do something like that with my MBP. What settings do you recommend for SMCFanControl? Not too familiar with how high I should have the fans running or how low I should keep the temp.

Thanks!

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Just change the settings to never turn off and leave it closed.

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'm no expert, theoretically OS X should make sure the fans are high enough to prevent overheating but I'm no physicist and I'm not sure how clamshell mode affects ventilation as I'm sure it wasn't designed to be used with the lid shut.

I just leave the fans on full with SMCFanControl and haven't had any problems, in fact I've just checked via screen sharing and this Mac has been up for 59 days without a restart.

9. BebopGato macrumors newbie

I'll give it a go. I'm not too worried about overheating/damage since I've stopped using that laptop, but I thought I'd put it to some use.

10. fanta macrumors regular

Could you report if you have tried it? i am planning the same thing.

11. dadan macrumors newbie

Hi Schranke, Any chance you could give me a brief rundown on this setup. I would like to do the same.
    I see you still have the black hinge on it?? do you still need to have the cables attached inside for this to work? Not much info out there on this. Thanks!

12. pbtterworth macrumors newbie

I would love to know how to do this too, thanks
    Paul