Headless Mac Mini Display Emulator

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mmomega, Apr 8, 2014.

1. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Since sometime in 2010 I've had this problem as well as a number of people on here and I just came across another possible solution from MacMiniColo.
    The problem being that if you use your Mac Mini as a home server or just remote into it without a monitor connected, your remote screen will randomly be completely black or parts of it blacked out.

This has happened with a 2010, 2011 and 2012 Mini through Lion, ML and Mavericks.

The 1st solution being to get a VGA adaptor and sticking a resistor into certain pinholes to make the Mini believe a monitor is connected so the video card stays active and you don't receive blacked out screens when you remote in.

The other solution I found on amazon is an HDMI emulator. Just plug it into the Mini's HDMI port and it "acts as an active monitor".

I was just wondering if anyone has had similar problems and has used an HDMI emulator to fix the problem.

Here's the Amazon link

2. jimj740 macrumors regular

jimj740

Pining for the company that once gave us Clarus
    Yes and yes, using the exact part from the exact vendor on Amazon.

Tells the mini there is a HDMI attached monitor so the HD4000 drivers fire up.

No complaints at all...

Good luck,

JimJ

3. 808? macrumors 6502a

I made one of these using a HDMI > VGA adapter, works very well.

4. swordturtle macrumors newbie

Mac Headless display emulator

I agree with the above comment. The CompuLab HDMI display emulator works nicely for headless display. I had fuzzy display in ARD and plugging in the emulator solved it.

5. DFWHD macrumors regular

I've been using the CompuLab 4K Display Emulator (fit-Headless 4K) for a few months now on my Mini. I got it on Amazon for $25 and it works great.

6. nkawal macrumors regular

Thinking of doing the same, what are the best options for remote into the Mac Mini.

7. DFWHD macrumors regular

I've been using the delivered screen sharing app and set it to stay in the dock. Works fine for me.

8. WilliamG macrumors 604

Yep, I'm using a CompuLab emulator, too. I didn't like the 4K model (I have it and the 1080p model) because it was just... odd... not picking up 60hz (53hz max), but either way - that's the way to go.

9. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

I use one of these fit-PC dongles and connect via VNC (https://www.realvnc.com).