Headless mac mini screen sharing now works without enabling GPU on 10.10.4

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by AdamSeen, Jul 1, 2015.

1. AdamSeen macrumors member

Just checked this morning, the black bar at the top of the screen when using screen sharing for a mac mini has now been fixed in 10.10.4. Does this mean the GPU has been activated in headless mode?

2. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

i'd love to verify that. Any idea on how to check the GPU usage? I could screenshare/remote login into my headless mac mini and compare the usage to when it is connected to a monitor.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I'll be updating to 10.10.4 on my mini server this coming weekend. I'll post again with my observations.

4. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

5. AdamSeen thread starter macrumors member

macminigpu10.4.png
    This what I see on 10.10.4 in headless mode, I'm not sure if that means the GPU is enabled. Do others who have 10.10.3 see the same?

6. seismick macrumors member

I don't think this works - I keep an HDMI fit-Headless dongle in my headless 2012 mini, so I tried removing it after upgrading to 10.10.4. Upon removing it initially, resolution stayed at 1080p (when screen sharing to a 1080p display). However, after logging out or rebooting the max resolution is limited, with black bars to either side of the desktop. I'll keep using the dongle...

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

8. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

9. AdamSeen thread starter macrumors member

10. AdamSeen thread starter macrumors member

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Seems to be a matter of "Location, location, location". Here the NewerTech is $19.49 and the Compulab is $15. That puts the Newertech inline, but £85 is ridiculous for the Compulab!

12. AdamSeen thread starter macrumors member

Just an update to this.

With the headless mac mini adapter I saw no improvement to graphics performance. It seems the GPU was enabled before without the adapter. In fact adding the adapter bought back the black bar at the top of the screen. So it seems the GPU is enabled in 10.10.4. I am using the app, 'display menu', however.

13. stukdog macrumors 6502

We still see the delays on our Mac minis even after 10.10.4 update. (Looking to do some more testing with El Cap now that the public beta is out.)

We still use the HDMI adapters and they work well. (And we prefer them over the newertech adapters because they don't take up a Thunderbolt port.)