Headless Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gdc, Aug 11, 2009.

1. gdc macrumors member

I have been fortunate to get hold of a Mac Pro no longer wanted at work which I want to use at home as an iTunes media server, but for space reasons I do not want to use it with a monitor etc.

What is the most effective way of using my iMac/MBP remote desktop style to control the MP?
    Could I use the desktop sharing function of iChat?
    Apple's Remote Desktop package (I imagine I could pick up an old version cheaply)?
    Something like www.screenrecycler.com ?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this is an inappropriate choice of subforum.

2. m.chaloner macrumors newbie

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Leopard has screen sharing built in. Just open a Finder window, navigate to the Mac Pro on the network and then click the "Share Screen" button in the top right of the Finder window.

4. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

like Peskaa said, I use this too.

It's very simple and works great for me and I it's only a few clicks away.

5. gdc thread starter macrumors member

Staggeringly perfect! Thanks.

6. noiceT macrumors 6502a

I second Chicken of the VNC, works great. Or of course, leopard screen sharing works good too:D

7. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

By looking at the table here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software Chicken looks like the very worst option possible.

No Built-in Encryption, No File Transfer, no Audio Support, no Multi-Session, no Seamless Window, no FreeBSD Client, no Linux Client, no Microsoft Windows Client, no Blackberry Client, no Windows Mobile Client, and no Java Client.

What's good about it?

8. shipra macrumors newbie

I looked you are right Tesselator

9. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, but if they're recommending it there must be something good about it? Is it faster or something?

10. gdc thread starter macrumors member

Will requesting to share the screen of my Mac Pro wake it from hibernation?
    What if it requires authentication?
    I don't think I need many of the functions the above wikipedia article outlines, but if anyone can think of any downsides I would much appreciate it.
    Otherwise, I'll be trying this on Weds night! Thanks.

11. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Authentication via Leopard's built-in solution certainly works, and is done when you mount the Mac Pro to the MBP (ie: the username/password it asks for to allow the connection).

As for wake-from-sleep, I don't think so. To all intents and purposes, a sleeping Mac is off, with devices powered down (such as ethernet/wireless), so a network connection wouldn't be able to start. I might be wrong though.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I frequently share the screen for all my Macs and I can attest to the fact that it will not wake it from sleep. That's the mild unfortunate aspect of it but still the best free alternative to something like VNC I've used or care to use.

On a side note, all that power for iTunes? Sure it's a hog but why not look to selling it and buy a top of the line mac mini? This will certainly be a space saver.

13. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Wake on LAN?

Also here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020220095929695

14. gdc thread starter macrumors member