Headphone Help!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cricketman, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Cricketman macrumors regular

Hi everyone

I am in the market for a new pair of headphones. I am looking at both in-ear headphones and over ear ones. However, I will be attending college next year so I feel that big and bulky over the ear headphones will be cumbersome to use while walking around campus and stuff. I will be using these with my iPhone so volume control and mic is a must.

I am looking at the Klipsch Image S4i (http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-S4i-Premium-Noise-Isolating-3-Button/dp/B00264GYMG/ref=pd_cp_e_1), Bose MIE2i (http://www.amazon.com/Bose-326223-0030-Bose®MIE2i-mobile-headset/dp/B0043WCH66/ref=pd_cp_e_1), and Beats by Dre studio (I know, you guys hate them :eek:)

I have about $250 to spend.

Any recommendations please?

2. Cricketman thread starter macrumors regular

3. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

4. Cricketman thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't really considered it.... I would prefer the regular style I think.

5. kjmff5 macrumors regular

I have the Bose MIE2 and they are amazing. The best part is that they actually stay in your ear and don't move.
    There are 3 kinds
    IE2- just headphones ~100
    MIE2- headphones with a mic ~130
    MIE2i- made for iphones- headphones, mic with volume controls~130

Good thing with the MIE2/MIE2i is that it can answer calls, and pause music on MP3 players and your computer.

I tried the Klpisch S4i but I couldn't find the right fit, granted my ears aren't your ears.

6. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

For on-the-ears, check out:
    Bowers and Wilkins P5.
    http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Headphones

IMO, they blow away the Bose + Beats stuff. Look a lot classier (all leather, aluminum, and steel -- no plastic), and a much more natural sound. None of the jacked-up highs+lows of the Bose, and none of the mid-range boost of the Bose.

I'm not a fan of in-ears for portable listening -- when I use in-ears, I get a loud "thump" in my head with every step I take. It doesn't happen to everyone, so you might want to try them out before buying. One other thing -- if you need to communicate frequently with other people (i.e., wearing them at work, etc.), in-ears are a bit of a pain. On the positive side, I use a set of Shure E5 as in-ear monitors with my band, and the sound quality is absolutely phenomenal.

7. Cricketman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions. I want to be able to use these for working out too so take that into consideration too please....

Basically I will be using these when

walking to class outside
    studying in library/dorm
    working out

basically all the college stuff :p

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I have the Klipsch headphones you mentioned. I bought them a bit over a month ago and I've been very pleased. The noise isolation is is wonderful, I can't hear anything else when wearing them. Sound quality is also very good. My usage is pretty similar to yours.

9. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

In Holland we have a saying when something is designed to look better than its performance which roughly translates as it's an 'idiot's eyefull'. That's how I would describe any product by Bose. For over-ear headphones stick with Sennheiser, especially the XP100 model, voiced to partner the iPod and excellent value for money.