Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nate16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Maryland
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2017 27inch iMac to replace my Late 2012 Mac Mini. I knew that the iMac only had a headphone jack but I figured that I could use an adapter to get audio from my soundboard onto the iMac via the headphone jack. I've tried and failed.

This is the cable that I ordered that I hoped would fix my problem but I'm not getting anything showing up on the input side when I try to use it. Did I get the wrong cable or is this just not possible in the iMac? I tried out my old iPhone headphones as well and they don't show any input options.

I just ordered a USB version that should work but I wanted to see if the users here had any other solutions before I return the cables I purchased.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Actually, the port only supports the input of a microphone from a set of Apple headphones.

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 12.31.11 PM.png
So, if I were you, I'd ask the folks at Apple if they have a cable that could be used with 3rd party devices that you could utilize the proprietary interface they're using.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Forget the jack, it's wired in TRRS where the mic is only mono.

Get a cheap USB audio interface, even the most basic ones can take stereo AUX input from RCA or 3.5mm jack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.