Headphone jack broke in MacBook, will USB override sound?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michelleconn, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Michelleconn macrumors newbie

I had my headphones plugged into my MacBook Pro and the tip broke off inside. There is no way of getting it out, I've tried everything I've read, and fixing it through apple means they will have to replace the motherboard.

I've heard I could get a USB soundcard with a headphone jack and plug that into a USB port. What I'm wondering is if the computer will recognize that as where to play sound, as the headphone jack is techincally still "plugged in" and therefore it will want to play sound from that. Is there a way to override it so that it does not recognize the headphone jack and only recognized the USB port for sound?

2. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Yes - that should be fine.

Once you have the USB sound card connected, you can choose to output sound using it instead of the built in audio jack in System Preferences.

Hope this helps.

3. Idefix macrumors 6502

4. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

If it is the centre pin of the jack plug that has come out, you could put a bit of super glue in the hole of the part of the jack plug that you have already got and stick the pin back in, this will let you pull the pin out.
    If you have chucked the broken part away you could try the same with the refill of a ball point pen.
    HTH

Barney