Headphone jack broken .. the old story. Is there a software solution to fix it ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tastenkasper, Dec 4, 2010.

1. tastenkasper, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

tastenkasper macrumors newbie

I've bought my MBP 5.2 without apple care ... and exactly 13 months after purchase the infamous red-light-audio-jack thing also happened to me :mad:

I've read the posts about it, the paperclip or toothpick or Q-tip or match wiggling trick that obviously helps a lot of other people doesn't work for me :eek: Neither PRAM or SMC-Reset helped ....

In my opinion the front-right (when looking a the jack) micro-switch is seriously jammed or broken ... taking a closer look at the logic board didn't cheer me up either ... no way to access/unjam the micro-switch from there either.

Calling apple-support they said that it will probably end up in replacing the whole logic board .... 1400$ for a broken 2 cent micro-switch.

I'm really pissed, since I've paid nearly 3500 bucks and I thought the price would at least give me an average-quality-hardware notebook ... and the problem exists for years and nothing seems to improve, neither concerning hardware nor software ...

Now my question: Is the ANY way to get my internal speaker working again? It's definitely not broken, the startup-sound when booting MacOs is clear and nice, it's simply that the crammed jack deactivates internal speakers and there is no way to activate them in the sound settings directly, since MacOs 'thinks' a digital device is plugged in.

In another post (http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-237405.html) someone suggested to delete the audio preference files in the system library folder and reboot, but this doesn't work for me either.

Would be great if someone knew a way to fix the problem with some way of patch or software solution :) ...

A former apple fan

2. g20man macrumors member

g20man

This happened to me, I just took head phone plug and repeatedly inserted and removed the plug rapidly, it fixed it in like 6 tries

3. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

My MB has been stuck like this for probably 6 months. I had some success with plugging and unplugging headphones a few times, then it happened again and was immune to it. I noticed during the summer if I set it down on one side, propped open, that it would fix itself for a little while, but now that doesn't work, either.

Wish I could help ya!