Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is making the headphone dongle proprietary, lawsuit worthy?

• Yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
The headphone jack..is the dongle proprietary on other phones?
So Apple removes the headphone jack and makes its dongle proprietary
is this what the other phone makers are doing?
I've bought an number of other dongles only to get the message on the iPhone that the
dongle isn't compatible. How stupid is this?
What?
Let me get this straight..no one wants a headphone jack but so you remove
it and at the same time make the dongle proprietary?
Then the dongle becomes one of the number one selling items at best buy.
Monopoly.
They should be sued for this.
JMO

Reactions: Closingracer

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
It is not proprietary any longer, as of March. Any MFi licensee can now make the dongle. That said, I've only seen one MFi 3rd party dongle, and it's $3 more expensive than Apple's.

Belkin has had a dongle for ages that works. Comes in 2x Lightning ports or 3.5mm and a Lightning charging port.

Any 3.5mm to Lightning dongle prior to March are not compatible. The honest ones will say in their ads that they are audio pass thru only and won't work volume, mic. And even then, good chance of getting incompatible device message (read the Amazon reviews: lots of one star ratings on the cheap knockoffs).

And it's not a monopoly as there are other phones on the market that have 3.5mm and or no Lightning connector. Now if every phone only had Lightning and Apple was only vendor for accessories, maybe you have a case.

ADD: here is a new dongle I just located. Twice the price of the Apple one, but, might last a heck of a lot longer (this one looks pretty heavy duty). Verified on Apple's MFi certified product list that this one is ok.

Tera Grand - Apple MFi Certified Lightning to Headphone Jack Audio Adapter, Black with Durable, Flexible, Super Soft PVC Jacket for iPhone X 8 8 Plus 7 7 Plus 6 6s Plus 5s 5c SE iPad Pro Air Mini iPod

Last edited:

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
So, if I'm understanding this correctly...

You're saying you purchased a dongle that was made by someone other than Apple, and purchased from someone other than Apple. That dongle doesn't work. And now you're asking the feasibility of suing Apple?

I'm not sure I'd waste any more time on this. I'm no lawyer, but I don't think you have a case since it seems Apple neither made the actual product nor did they sell it to you. Even if they had, a standard "return the defective product for your money" might be a more appropriate first step as opposed to a lawsuit. If I were in your shoes, I'd spend all this time and energy trying to get my money back for the defective product. If that doesn't sit well with you, call a real lawyer and ask them.

Uaaerospace2

macrumors member
May 17, 2017
The headphone jack..is the dongle proprietary on other phones?

Let me get this straight..no one wants a headphone jack but so you remove
it and at the same time make the dongle proprietary?
Then the dongle becomes one of the number one selling items at best buy.
Monopoly.
They should be sued for this.
JMO

So sue them then. What kind of result do you expect posting on an online forum? Just get on with your lawsuit and be done with it.

Reactions: fourthtunz

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Not law suit worthy, at least not unless you are in a specific country with specific laws.

First thing to remember is that iPhones without headphone jacks come with the a 3.5mm to lightning dongle in the box. Second thing to remember is the headphones included are earbuds with a lightning connector. Both of these things are just a courtesy though and to try to maintain PR.

But the main thing is its not a device that requires the use of headphones. Its fully functional without them for phone calls and even music through its own speakers.

You are overlooking the obvious things like an iPad that doesn't come with an Apple Pencil (again still not against the law) which is a key feature of the product. Your lawsuit would be like me trying to sue them because using a proprietary lightning cable.

Reactions: bhayes444

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
So sue them then. What kind of result do you expect posting on an online forum? Just get on with your lawsuit and be done with it.
Why does anyone post on a forum? To get things off your chest, to get a sense of the prevailing winds.etc.
I was also wondering if other manufacturers had done the proprietary dongle for the headphone jack.
Some of the responses are pretty angry, quite surprising.
I love apple products and have many of them after 25 years or more but I think this
is the sleaziest thing I've ever seen Apple do.
And as they say, people can and do sue for anything.
Cheers.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Why does anyone post on a forum? To get things off your chest, to get a sense of the prevailing winds.etc.
I was also wondering if other manufacturers had done the proprietary dongle for the headphone jack.
I love apple products and have many of them after 25 years or more but I think this
Cheers.
I’d be surprised if you could convince a lawyer or law firm to file the lawsuit for free.. You could always hire an attorney to file and litigate the lawsuit for you and see how it turns out.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
The Apple one isn’t even that expensive and you can buy them from other places like Best Buy.
True, but those places aren't always open when you need one right now.
Part of this is, is that the connectors for the 1/8" jack are ubiquitous and an open standard which the lighting-
headphone dongle is not.
I assume most people on this thread do not ever attach their phones to mixers or pa systems or
jump in someones car that has a 1/8" aux in jack?
Apple had no reason to remove the jack, as it did not improve anything.
But I do know that they're making a lot of money from the dongles.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Part of this is, is that the connectors for the 1/8" jack are ubiquitous and an open standard which the lighting-
headphone dongle is not.
I assume most people on this thread do not ever attach their phones to mixers or pa systems or
So is your issue about them removing the headphone jack or the fact that the adapter is proprietary?

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
The Apple one isn’t even that expensive and you can buy them from other places like Best Buy.
headphone dongle is not.
So is your issue about them removing the headphone jack or the fact that the adapter is proprietary?
They are charging more than ever for their iPhones. I paid $949 for my 8 plus.
Removing the headphone jack reduced functionality of the phone, for what gain?
We could use bluetooth speakers and headphones before they removed the jack.
So we're supposed to be happy with them reducing the functionality of a $1000(+) phone?

Last edited:

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
headphone dongle is not.

They are charging more than ever for their iPhones. I paid $949 for my 8 plus.
Removing the headphone jack reduced functionality of the phone, for what gain?
We could use bluetooth speakers and headphones before they removed the jack.
So we're supposed to be happy with them reducing the functionality of a $1000(+) phone?

Or just buy 2 extra. Problem solved, then you will have extras.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Or just buy 2 extra. Problem solved, then you will have extras.
I've bought at least 10, some work and some don't.
Doesn't help when you get into a friends car that has the 1/8" aux in and you want to play music.
No I don't always carry the dongle with me.
$950 iPhone 8plus with reduced function.
This is progress?

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I've bought at least 10, some work and some don't.
Doesn't help when you get into a friends car that has the 1/8" aux in and you want to play music.
No I don't always carry the dongle with me.
$950 iPhone 8plus with reduced function.
This is progress?

Did you buy the apple ones because there are only a few third party adaptors and who the heck uses a aux cord in a car just pair to their Bluetooth in the car or get a Bluetooth adaptor that plugs into the aux port. Also belkin sells a lighting to aux cable too.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Cheers.
I don’t think you know what proprietary means...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.