Headphone Jack issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by eucsstamticc, Jan 26, 2015.

1. eucsstamticc macrumors member

I am having issues with my headphone jack on a MBA 13" Mid2013 model.

I can still hear some music/sound coming through when plugged in but it is garbled and is nasty sounding. I have tried compressed air and looking in there to see if there is anything in there but nothing, and still the problem persists.

I have not taken it to Apple yet as I am curious if there is anyone in the community that can provide some possible solutions.

Thanks in Advance :apple:

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Try a different set of headphones to rule out any problems with your current set.

Try plugging your current set of headphones into something else with a headphone jack and see if they play fine.

Does your headphone male end go all the way into the jack (flush)?

When plugged in, go into "preferences", "sound". Are the headphones listed there? Selected?

Are they headphones that require a battery (like noise canceling)? Is the battery fresh? Do the headphones have any kind of on-button? Is it on?

3. eucsstamticc thread starter macrumors member

I have tried my Apple earbuds that came with my iPhone 6, that I rarely use, and my Beats Pros or whatever they are and both sound crappy.

It does say headphones in the preferences>sound window and it is selected. Sound IS Playing through it just distorted.

here is an image of it plugged in. None of my headphones/earbuds require batteries and they all work on my other devices perfectly. Also, my built in speakers are in working order as well.

[​IMG]

4. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Assuming that's a normal end to your headphone cable (no adapters involved), it looks like you have something wrong with your headphone jack. I initially thought you had a tiny something in the hole (working against a flush fit). Then I pulled my own headphones out with my Macbook and noticed a similar gap (rather than flush).

Take it into Apple and hope they'll do something. If you have Applecare, it should be no problem.

5. akr47 macrumors newbie

same issue

Hi,

I have the same issue sometimes (11" Air, 2013).

For me, it is clearly a software problem. If I restart the computer or log out, it does not help. The only solution seems to be to unplug my laptop, shut it down, and then pose it up again. This gets rid of the distortion.

Try this first, before taking it to Apple!

6. eucsstamticc thread starter macrumors member

Well it looks like I might be taking it to Apple I have tried all suggestions and nothing seems to work. I have AppleCare just wanted to see if it was a quick fix.

Thanks everyone will post what they have to say.