Headphone Jack Issues

TSE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I am on a 2011 MacBook Pro and when I connect a pair of headphones (my brand new MDR-V6s to be exact) the left headphone sounds a lot louder than the other one.

Weird. So I try my headphones out on my iPod and Cell Phone and both headphones sound equally loud on both sides.

It's pretty annoying not being able to really get the effect of listening to headphones when you can only really hear out of the left headphone. Is this an issue that is worthy of sending it in?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Have you tried cleaning the headphone jack? Some compressed air and a small Q-tip ought to do the job.

I had this issue on my iPhone and cleaning the jack fixed it.

TSE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Have you tried cleaning the headphone jack? Some compressed air and a small Q-tip ought to do the job.

I had this issue on my iPhone and cleaning the jack fixed it.
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately that didn't change much. I will probably send it in during Winter Break since I need it for classes.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
I am on a 2011 MacBook Pro and when I connect a pair of headphones (my brand new MDR-V6s to be exact) the left headphone sounds a lot louder than the other one.

Weird. So I try my headphones out on my iPod and Cell Phone and both headphones sound equally loud on both sides.

It's pretty annoying not being able to really get the effect of listening to headphones when you can only really hear out of the left headphone. Is this an issue that is worthy of sending it in?
are you sure the LR balance is set correctly in preferences -> sound -> output?

mannyo1221

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Blandford, UK.
have you tried the headphones in another device, if other headphones are fine in the MAC, and because the headphones are new I would be looking at those being at fault.

TSE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Yeah I tried messing with the sound settings as suggested with no success. I also tried another pair of headphones just now with no success.

There IS sound in the left side, just noticeably quieter.