Headphone jack jammed

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Gryfon19, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Gryfon19 macrumors regular

My wife has an iPhone 3G in which the tip of her headphones broke off in the headphone jack. Has anyone experienced this and managed to remove it without ruining the phone?

Thanks!

2. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Oh, that sucks! Is the piece that's stuck hollow or solid?

If it's hollow you might be able to make something really small with a hook to fish it out. Like the end of a straight pin or Exacto knife if it's not too far down in there....

Otherwise it's probably gotta come apart to get at it.

3. tenbaseg macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me on my 1st gen. I messed around with tweezers, toothpicks...whatever I could find. No luck!

What finally got it out was the actual headphone plug. I plugged it back in and spun it a bit and it re-attached to the plug enough to pull it out.

Good luck. What a pain!!

4. jas1973 macrumors 6502

try a dab of crazy glue on the left over headphone jack, slip it in and hopefully it will pull out the broken pice and not glue the whole thing into the phone, lol

5. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Depending on if you've still got Apple support, take it to one of their stores. Alternatively, if you're technically handy, maybe look at some of the disassembly photos on the net and see what it would take to pop open the phone and look at the headphone jack assembly. Maybe there's a hole on the bottom you can push it out with, or you can buy a replacement headphone jack assembly.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I would take it in even if out of warranty, they're pretty good about random stuff like this.

7. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Great idea!

I would try to use something metal but smaller than the broken off piece, that way if you have a little glue come off of the side it wont glue the plug into the phone.

Maybe the ball side of a needle (use pliers to pull the needle after the glue sets)