Headphone Jack not working, requires logic board replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ruahrc, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I noticed today that the headphone jack on my 13" MBP is not working. I recall it working within the last few days but now nothing. I see no immediate evidence of external damage or foreign object intrusion, and the MBP has not even moved from the desk where it was last used.

Suppose I have to go back to the Apple Store to have it fixed, which is a bummer because I literally just had it in there like a week ago to get the optical drive replaced.

If the headphone jack does not work, is it required to replace the whole logic board, or is it a part they can typically replace individually? If the logic board needs replacing, do they have to order it in, or do they sometimes keep those in stock? I'd like to know as this might require me to leave the laptop there for several days again which might need some planning on my part.

How many defects do you have to encounter to be considered a lemon and get an outright replacement? I don't really care either way my MBP is perfect otherwise and I'd have to re-swap my 3rd party SSD in for the stock HD if I got an exchange, but just curious. Gotta say I've had pretty sour luck with the new MBP as my old PBG4 went 5 years not a single problem :).

Ruahrc

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If the headphone jack is determined to be broken, the entire logic board will have to be replaced. If you go to the Apple Store to get this fixed, they probably won't have it in stock, meaning you'll have to go without your computer for probably a week -- you'll probably have to find a time to go without it.

Generally, the rule of thumb is that if your Mac has the same issue after three repairs, they'll just swap it out for a new machine. It sounds like you've had a couple issues already, but they're probably not bad enough to warrant a new computer.

3. Ruahrc thread starter macrumors 65816

Update on this: I did a quick google search and found that it might be a problem with my recent installation of SL instead of a hardware issue. If I put the computer to sleep and plug in headphones and wake the computer it will properly detect headphones and play through them. I unplugged the headphones and it went back to the internal speakers. Plug the headphones back in and I see that it did not autodetect again.

I rebooted the computer and it seems to be reliably detecting headphones, for now.

There was at least one discussion thread on the apple forums with this issue. I guess I will stay with the inconvenience for now and perhaps a software update will fix the problem.

Ruahrc

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sometimes the headphone jack will emit a red light; and I used a paperclip and gently touched the bottom of the headphone jack and reset it and the red light went out and the headphones have been working just fine.....:cool:

5. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Have you installed 10.6.1? That's the latest version of SL.