Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PruneTracy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Sorry to be a complainer, but I just realized my incoming 16" MBP has the headphone jack on the left side, along with power and 2 USB-C ports... so my numerous USB-C hubs from my 2016 MBP would block the headphone jack... and I use this for recording a lot....

It's not the end of the world. In fact, I'd prefer the audio jack on the left, but it also means re-purchasing corded hubs as opposed to the ones that sit flush to the chassis.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
In addition to what @Carlson-online said, couldn't you simply purchase a USB-C extension cable like this and continue to use your current hub (just not flush-mounted)?

Also, you could use a 3.5mm to USB-C headphone adapter with the USB-C port that's on the right side of the MBP, though of course that ties up that USB-C port.

Dave Pearce

macrumors member
May 9, 2020
It never really bothered me until you said it lol.
I guess having the cable on the left means it doesn't get tangled with a mouse cable (if using one). Does seem a bit 'wrong' now you come to mention it though.

Reactions: Burnincoco

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Isn't having it on the left, well, "normal"? I've had four Apple laptops in my life (2002 iBook, 2006 MBP, 2011 MBP, 2015 MBP) and all four had the headphone socket on the left. If anything my 2020 iMac is the outlier, having it on the right when facing the computer.

Reactions: ignatius345

PruneTracy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
San Francisco, CA
In addition to what @Carlson-online said, couldn't you simply purchase a USB-C extension cable like this and continue to use your current hub (just not flush-mounted)?

Also, you could use a 3.5mm to USB-C headphone adapter with the USB-C port that's on the right side of the MBP, though of course that ties up that USB-C port.
Sorry- I should have clarified. Mine has two ports so needs a side with two ports for input and power.

It’s this one: https://satechi.net/products/pro-hub-max?variant=39774105600088

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Sorry- I should have clarified. Mine has two ports so needs a side with two ports for input and power.

It’s this one: https://satechi.net/products/pro-hub-max?variant=39774105600088

Wait, that hub has an audio jack...so what am I missing? Why can't you just use that?

1674702739595.png

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Isn't having it on the left, well, "normal"? I've had four Apple laptops in my life (2002 iBook, 2006 MBP, 2011 MBP, 2015 MBP) and all four had the headphone socket on the left. If anything my 2020 iMac is the outlier, having it on the right when facing the computer.

My 2020 M1 MBA has it on the right. My 2012 MBA had it on the left.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
You're absolute right. Which made me double check mine - I have previous gen, which doesn't have headphone jack. So it's not the exact one, but same concept. Sorry for confusion.

In that case, you could either upgrade to the newest version or buy two of the aforementioned cables (one for power, one for data) and use your existing hub with those cables. Or you could use the USB-C port on your current hub (or on the right side of the MBP) with a USB-C to 3.5mm audio adapter.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Wait, that hub has an audio jack...so what am I missing? Why can't you just use that?

View attachment 2148356
Audio chip in that hub might be subpar quality or at least lover quality than the one in MBP, hence its important for those who work with audio.
Sure, external audio card can help, but still, having native 3.5mm with high quality output is nothing to sneeze at.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Audio chip in that hub might be subpar quality or at least lover quality than the one in MBP, hence its important for those who work with audio.
Sure, external audio card can help, but still, having native 3.5mm with high quality output is nothing to sneeze at.

Well, they've now clarified they have an older model without that jack. And there's no way to know its quality until they try it. I highly doubt it is subpar. At the end of the day, the fact remains there's nothing they can do about the built-in jack location and there are multiple workarounds to this. They'll just have to try one or more and see what works best for their situation.

Reactions: VaruLV

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Dock's audio output quality depends on chips inside the dock, one can either look up specification on model website or ask manufacturer.
For some its nothing, for others its quite a big deal to have good audio outpout through USB-C/TB port-dock combo.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Dock's audio output quality depends on chips inside the dock, one can either look up specification on model website or ask manufacturer.
For some its nothing, for others its quite a big deal to have good audio outpout through USB-C/TB port-dock combo.

It looks like it's a simple pass-thru. I don't think it's actually doing any processing on the audio, though of course I don't know for 100% sure:

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 11.39.47 AM.png

Reactions: VaruLV and Nermal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.