headphone jack problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dba415, Mar 4, 2012.

1. dba415 macrumors 6502

Today I plug in my earbuds into my iPhone 3GS and found it odd because it did not plug all the way in, so it no longer sounds right. I was able to use a paperclip and get rid of a lot of lint, and now my headphones do work but only if I turn the connection a certain way.

Is this eventually going to get worse over time? I am not sure what's wrong, it has worked fine before but today it started. I just don't want it to get worse. Right now it seems I can consistently make the sound come out right if I turn the headphone connection a certain way.

2. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Sounds like you need a good cleaning in the connector. The hole is so small, it may be worthwhile to take it to an Apple store (if one is available) and let them do it.

If you find a small Q-tip, you could get the tip damp (NOT WET) with regular alcohol and insert it into the hole, twisting a few times to clean the contacts. However, there's a chance you might make things worse since there seems to be lint or ?? in there. Best thing would be to find an electronic service store.