Headphone-Jack problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by erin1234, Feb 16, 2014.

1. erin1234, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014

erin1234 macrumors newbie

So when I plug my headphones into my macbook air, it initially does not recognize that they have been plugged in and continues to play sound out of the internal speakers. However if I close the laptop and open it again, it will then recognize them, however it plays an awful static noise out of them.

The jack does look a little crushed, almost like I dropped it with headphones in, which is possible. But the fact that it will recognize the headphones after being closed makes me skeptical that it is a hardware issue.

I have tried other headphones and updated to the most recent software hoping for a fix but no such luck.

Do you think it is a hardware or a software problem? Any possible solutions out there? Also if it does turn out to be a hardware problem, does anyone have any idea of how much it would cost to get it fixed?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes, it's probably damaged the connector inside.....take it in. By closing the lid you are probably completing the connection via pressure...I doubt it's a DIY fix though.