Headphone Jack Problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ellen, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Ellen macrumors regular

Hi, I just recieved an 8GB iPod Touch as a gift and suspect there is a problem with the headphone jack - the cord is loose and makes a staticy sound. Though the iPod came to me via Amazon I called the Apple store near me and they said that if it is indeed broken they can replace it for me on the spot.

But I was also curious. I have an "old" 30GB iPod that holds most of my music, so the capacity of this one does not bother me, but I know that the 32GB version has a built in microphone and is faster. Does that mean that I could use an iPod Touch (via Skype and WiFi) to make phone calls? (This scenario works for me only if the store would let me upgrade and pay the difference, and I have no idea if that is feasible given that the gift was purchased on Amazon.)

Alternatively, is the 8GB processor fast enough (with an add on mic) to use Skype? Would a Bluetooth earpiece work or would I (also) have to attach a mic to to the iPod directly?

Were it not for the fact that my business requires me to use a Blackberry I would buy an iPhone - but the iPod Touch alternative is intriguing.

Thanks!

2. Labaguette macrumors regular

Hello from Germany,

the iPod touch 3G does NOT have a built-in microphone, but is delivered with a headset that includes a microphone. I have been using the iPod touch 2G 8GB with Skype and it works just fine, simply grab the Apple Headset with Remote (here 25€ which should be 29$ in the US) and enjoy phone calls via WiFi. The faster processor is just necessary for gaming needs.

Hope i could help you,

Piet

3. Ellen thread starter macrumors regular

That is good to know. I don't plan on doing gaming, and perhaps my Bluetooth headset with mic would work.

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Welcome Ellen,

In the future you may want to title your thread in relation to your question. It looks like you have the headphone issue worked out, but had a Skype question.

I have an 8gb 2nd generation iPod Touch, and it is able to support Skype just fine. It is used a few times a week for this kind of work without any kind of issue. As Labaguette had stated, you need to get a headset or headphones with built in Mic in order to make such calls. The apple headphones with built in Mic also offer controls for volume, and music playback within the same button, which is an added perk!

Skype works great, as do most applications in the app store that you may want to try or buy.

Take care!

5. Ellen thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I apologize for any confusion. I went to edit the thread and realize I can't edit the title. So I'll know for next time!

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

No apology needed :) . I was simply pointing it out for future posts, may help you get answers more quickly in the future. :)