Headphone jack problems - need to twist/push headphones to get sound

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ramparts, Jan 31, 2010.

1. ramparts macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2008
    For a few weeks now I've had an issue with my iPhone 3G that's gotten worse; if the headphone jack isn't plugged into the port in a certain way, the sound is distant/tinny, as if the jack were only halfway in. At first I needed to have the headphones rotated a certain way - rotating the jack, without moving it in or out, would change the sound, and sometimes even cause the playing song to skip (??) - but it might be getting worse. Yesterday I was listening to music where I could only get full sound by actively pushing the headphones into the port.

I'm going to take this to the Apple store this weekend but hopefully before I do that, has anyone seen this or heard of this problem before, and know of any solutions?

It's clearly an iPhone issue; it's happened with multiple pairs of headphones, all of which work fine on, e.g., my MacBook.
  2. coneman5259 macrumors member

Sep 20, 2007
    I have the same problem, I tried cleaning out the port but still no luck. ifixit.com sells the replacement jack assembly if its out of warranty.
  3. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2008
    Yeah, I'm really glad I have AppleCare. I got this resolved by going to the Apple Store where they found there was dust in the jack. Couldn't get it out so they just gave me a new phone, on the spot. Good luck!