Headphone jack problems - need to twist/push headphones to get sound

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ramparts, Jan 31, 2010.

1. ramparts macrumors regular

For a few weeks now I've had an issue with my iPhone 3G that's gotten worse; if the headphone jack isn't plugged into the port in a certain way, the sound is distant/tinny, as if the jack were only halfway in. At first I needed to have the headphones rotated a certain way - rotating the jack, without moving it in or out, would change the sound, and sometimes even cause the playing song to skip (??) - but it might be getting worse. Yesterday I was listening to music where I could only get full sound by actively pushing the headphones into the port.

I'm going to take this to the Apple store this weekend but hopefully before I do that, has anyone seen this or heard of this problem before, and know of any solutions?

It's clearly an iPhone issue; it's happened with multiple pairs of headphones, all of which work fine on, e.g., my MacBook.

2. coneman5259 macrumors member

coneman5259

I have the same problem, I tried cleaning out the port but still no luck. ifixit.com sells the replacement jack assembly if its out of warranty.

3. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm really glad I have AppleCare. I got this resolved by going to the Apple Store where they found there was dust in the jack. Couldn't get it out so they just gave me a new phone, on the spot. Good luck!