Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Delexo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2010
United Kingdom
My 2G iPod Touch served me exceptionally well however these days it's only really used for Apps rather than listening to music. Basically my iPod Touch's headphone jack became faulty around this time last year. I could only hear through one side of my headphones. At first I presumed it was the headphones but after buy numerous new pairs, it became obvious it was the headphone jack. I did a bit of research at the time on how to fix it but nothing really worked. I also looked into how it might've occurred. Most places listed water damage but my iPod Touch as never came into contact with water, except for the odd drop of rain on the screen on a wet day.

One place listed that the jack may have become damaged/faulty because headphones had been left plugged in there for long periods of time. Since purchasing a 160GB Classic, I never leave the headphones plugged in when not listening to music. Should I continue doing this? It can be a bit of a pain because I like to listen to music while in bed to help me get to sleep but having to take the headphones out when I've finished instead of naturally falling asleep is a bit of a pain. I guess I've become a bit anxious about having headphones plugged in.

In short, can anyone shed any light/experiences on leaving headphones plugged into the jack for a long period of time?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
It's a trade off, gamble or whatever you like to call it. If you leave in the plug then if it is bumped it stresses the jack. The plugged in headphone plug acts like a lever.

But if the headphone is plugged in then no dirt or whatever gets into the little hole.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Yeah, headphone jacks are a real misery, I have jacks that lasted forever and some that stopped working after a month or so. Avoiding stress to headphone jack is the trick (nss). I (almost) always remove the headphones.

Anyway you can, with a needle, attempt to bend the pins inside the headphone jack a little out in order to improve electrical contact with the headphones. Just be careful, if there aren't any problems with the internal solder joints or other weird stuff it should be fine:) worked for me in the past:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.