Headphone Jack Reliability

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FumbleDuck, Mar 17, 2015.

1. FumbleDuck macrumors member

Hi all,

I am starting to use the headphone jack more and more on the 15 rMBP as I am learning Logic Pro.

However it does feel quite tight compared to other jacks on other devices I have and it does need quite a "push" to get it in (it is always done as carefully as possible).

Does this ease up over time and how reliable is the soldered jack to the motherboard to this level of repetitive force? Has anyone had trouble with these jacks on 2013/14 MBPs?

I have read that its more vulnerable but dont know how much truth there is too this. After all, is there any other way to attach the headphone jack to the motherboard (screws)? If it goes then I assume its a logic board replacement as the 2014 rMBP pretty much have nothing easily replaceable.

I also prefer to use the headphone jack for producing music as Bluetooth headphones are not that good yet for frequency response.

2. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Yeah it gets loose but I wouldn't worry about that, it's completely normal and it can withstand THOUSANDS of connections/disconnections before it gets too loose and unreliable.

If you're looking for high quality audio output though, bluetooth headphones obviously aren't the answer, neither is the headphone jack. Anybody even remotely serious about music production should use an external DAC. The onboard audio output isn't even powerful enough to drive large high quality headphones.

3. FumbleDuck thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for confirming the looseness increases over time - that is good news :cool:

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

They never will be. They are bandwidth limited, and Bluetooth's frequencies are very easily absorbed by water, which 80% of your body is made of.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Maybe one of these??

I don't do audio production or anything but these have been given a great review by everyone I know who has used them and they always have good reviews in media I have read...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AudioQuest-...&qid=1426603200&sr=8-1&keywords=dragonfly+dac

6. FumbleDuck thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the heads-up. I didnt realise they made them so small now. I did have a Behringer UCA202 and an old presonus firebox but much prefer to use the core audio soundcards built into the MBP. However this little device is small enough to not be obtrusive if the jack ever has problems. Cheers.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yeah they are pretty cool

But this is amazing....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hannspree-S...qid=1426606654&sr=8-1&keywords=computer+stick

8. magbarn macrumors 68000

Mine's gotten loose but still works on my 3 year old 2012 rMBP. I wish Apple put the headphone jack on the right side which the connectors there are put on a daughter board that is much cheaper to replace than a logic board. Hence why I consistently use the right USB port mostly as if I break that port, it'll be a much cheaper repair than the left USB board which is directly on the logic board itself.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

As far as DACs go, the Audioquest isn't all that bad. You can get a Schiit Modi 2 for less, and it'll perform just as well. Not quite as portable.

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2