Headphone jack snapped off leaving bit in socket, please advise

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lovehaight, Mar 5, 2010.

1. lovehaight macrumors member

Foolishly I tripped over my audio cord and it snapped off leaving a bit at the bottom of the rear socket of my mac pro..I have heard horror stories, can anyone advise? thanks

2. Hmac macrumors 68020

Happened on my daughter's black Macbook about 18 month's ago. Apple genius said they could fix that for $420. She and I did it ourselves based on iFixit disassembly instructions and a hemostat.

3. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Coat the end of a large paperclip with crazy glue. Not so much that you have a drop at the end, but a smooth coating so it doesn't drip. Carefully glue the paperclip to the piece stuck inside. wait a couple hours and it should come out glued to the end of the clip.

This needs to be done really precisely...

4. antmo macrumors member

good suggestion with the super glue... but I'd try to use the original broken end of the headphone jack with the glue instead of a paper clip (more surface area, should create a stronger bond)

5. lovehaight thread starter macrumors member

wouldnt want to risk ruining the jack by using the origonal piece..tthe glue would go all the plaxe no?

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Using a paperclip would likely mean you are less likely to push it out to the edge and risk touching the inside or sides of the headphone jack. Some superglue should work doing this .

7. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

Why not try first with double-stick foam tape? Much lower risk of damage as compared to super-glue.

8. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

I wouldn't bother with a magnet. Even if the plug is ferrous, no magnet has enough strength to overcome the spring that holds the plug in place.

9. Hmac macrumors 68020

In my experience, neither does super glue.

10. MitchLewis macrumors member

Hmac sounds like he's done this before. Maybe he'll post the link to the instructions on iFix It for you.