headphone jack works OK but not when connected to TV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wwoodwo, Apr 13, 2011.

1. wwoodwo macrumors newbie

I'm trying to set up my 13" macbook pro for HD TV viewing, did this successfully for one evening but now I can get video but no sound through the TV. Using the mini-DVI adapter connected to HDMI to TV, and a separate 3.55mm stereo audio plug from the Macbook headphone jack into the audio input on the TV. It's not the cable or the TV receptacle - these work fine when hooked up to my (other) Windows PC. The audio output jack on the macbook is also OK, since I can hear fine using headphones. It's just that with everything hooked up with the 2 cables, and DISPLAY settings set to 'mirror', I get video on the TV but no sound. Anyone have any ideas what is going on? Remember, all the pieces check out OK separately, it's just when hooked up together, the sound is dysfunctional. tks.

2. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

The TV is just confused,

USUALLY HDMI includes Audio so it wants to use the audio from that. However, DVI is like HDMI, just without the audio, therefore you wont get anything out.

If there is a setting on the TV (dont think there will be) to use your composite audio in with the HDMI video, do that.

Otherwise, plug the audio into a receiver w/ speakers and you should be solid.