Headphone jack

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unclebobo2000, Feb 19, 2016.

1. unclebobo2000 macrumors newbie

How are we going to listen to tunes and charge at the same time if they do away with the headphone jack on the next iPhone.

2. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Adapter that could perhaps allow for both?

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Completely sums it up right here.

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

Personally I haven't used wired headphones in a long time. I only use bluetooth headphones now so it's not an issue for me. I'm sure there will be an adapter anyway that allows you to connect both.

6. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I only use wired headphones. But I agree I'm sure there will be an adapter included. My headphones have the ability to change the cable out so as long as the company I buy my headphones from offers a new cable I'll just pick that up so I don't have to use an adapter.

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

My headphones whilst being bluetooth also have the option of being wired with an attachable and detachable cable. If i need to use a wired connection I'll probably do the same.

8. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

9. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I haven't used wired headphones since I tried BT.

10. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

How am I supposed to output my Macbook to an external monitor, a powered USB Hub and still charge it when it has only 1 port?

11. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, considering this is the iPhone forum I'll assume you're asking about how you can charge and listen to your iPhone at the same time. Assuming they eliminate the headphone port, it's possible that there will be an adapter that will allow you to charge and listen at the same time. But if you have access to your Macbook, couldn't you just listen to music or watch videos on your Macbook?

12. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

My point is that Apple will likely have considered this as well, and will present a viable solution if the iPhone 7 is released without a headphone jack. With the Macbook, this came in the form of a USB-C adaptor. With the iPhone 7, it could also be an adaptor, or maybe they just want to push users towards wireless solutions and steer you towards that direction by not making the aforementioned scenario possible.

At any rate, that is really the least of my concerns.

13. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Ah fair enough, good point. Yeah I would think Apple would have a viable solution as they have in their Macbook product line. Just hopefully it doesn't cost too much.

14. A.Chakery macrumors member

As the others mentioned ... there are several solutions and scenarios :

1- Using Adaptors : This is the best solution for those who are willing to use their old Headphones like me
    2- Using Wireless Headphones
    3- Purchase New Headphones compatible with iPhone 7

Personally I believe using Lightening port for Headphones would not be a good idea because you will no longer be able to charge your phone AND Listen to music (sometimes it happens) so I hope Apple devise a good plan for this issue.

15. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

You will be able to charge and listen to headphones if they do wireless charging.

Which has been the rumour and also ties in with the antenna band rumour. Perhaps moving the antenna bands from the back (like the rumour suggests) was a needed step to make wireless charging better? (Just speculation)

I know they in the end want a more through the air wireless charging but may temporarily go the charging pad route until 2017 or later.

Whatever happens I'm sure Apple has thought about a charging + headphone scenario.

16. A.Chakery macrumors member

Yeah I totally forgot that ... you are right.

17. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I wonder if this happens if they'll be lightning port headphones with built in batteries that could potentially charge your iPhone while listening? Maybe some new beats version?

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wireless
    Lightening equipped headphones
    Dongles.

Apple isn't about to introduce (or rather remove) something so integral without a replacement. I'm not jazzed up over this rumor but I don't think apple will leave us high and dry. If the MacBook shows us anything they'll provide an 80 dollar dongle for us to keep using our legacy headphones.

19. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

I agree with Mike. This isn't my problem to solve, it's Apple's. And it's a rumor. So I'm not losing sleep.

20. Superrjamz54 macrumors regular

Superrjamz54

That's possible, so is charging wireless headphones or using the Lightning jack to power noise reduction instead of actual batteries.

21. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yeah I can see all of it. Either at launch or you'll see some kickstarters for it

22. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

I seriously doubt Apple will include a 3.5mm adapter in the box, nor a pass through adapter, since they didn't with the USB-C MacBook. Apple's goal here is to move the customer to wireless and to a lesser extent Lightning audio. If they include an adapter they perpetuate the thing that's holding back demand, innovation and price reduction in wireless -- cheap 3.5mm accessories. They'll include a new set of Lightning earbuds, but if you want to use your old headphones, you'll have to buy the $20 adapter.

Problem solved:

[​IMG]

23. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

They won't put a 3.5mm adapter in the box. They will include a lightning headphone and there will be an optional wireless charger using the watch charger...

24. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I see your point and good reference using the MacBook. I don't really like wireless stuff for accessories as it's just additional things I have to remember to charge and keep track of the cables. I'm not bothered if they include it or not as I will just get a new cable for my headphones so I don't need an adapter. I don't plan to order the new iPhone at release anyway so that gives plenty of time. But either way as long as there's an adapter, whether included in the box or a paid accessory I'm fine with that.