Headphone jack

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roland.g, Jul 19, 2008.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have to say I know people really didn't like the original iPhone recessed headphone jack, but I actually miss it and wish they left it.

I bought two adapters, one for my desk at work and one for my car.
    I used the Griffin Adapter (actually bought the Smartshare combo for flights) in my car since it was nice and flexible and I used the Belkin Headphone Adapter at work (the short one not that long thing) because it made it easy to prop my iPhone up.

I look at the new iPhone 3G with the earbuds or anything else plugged in and it doesn't look right with the curve on top, especially from the back. You see part of the plug. At least with the recessed, it went down in there and looked good, and now it makes sense why they originally did it. Having already had the two adapters, I wouldn't have had a problem if they kept it the same. The upside is that the metal ring at the headphone jack looks really nice. Not to mention you really aren't checking out the jack when you are using your phone.

It was just an observation.

2. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

I didn't have the first iPhone, so I'm not exactly sure how it was.

But if i'd have to buy an adapter to plug custom headphones into my iphone, or to plug my iphone into my head unit in my car, I'd be pissed.

3. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

I know all the audiophiles and whatnots clamor on about how Apple headphones suck and you have to get this or that headphones. And while there are actually supposedly a few headphones out there (I don't think really good ones though) that do the same answering of calls with the mic and such, I only use my Apple headphones with mine because I want to be able to switch to a call that easily if one comes in, rather than unplugging something and answering the phone. Most of the time though I use my BT headset to take calls, and have my phone plugged in to speakers at my desk or in my car and I can just answer with the BT headset and pause the music at the same time. So having to use an adapter isn't a big deal. It's always connected in my car.

Like I said, I liked the way it looked, didn't really mind the adapter but then I never really look at. It was just an observation that now it looks kinda off.

4. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

The jacks on the first gen I hated just because when I use to plug in my standard iphone headset it will rip the covering from the base of the plug and sometimes it would cut into the plastic of the headphones too.