Headphone/Lightning Adapter Incompatible w/ Inline Mics

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shigatashway, Sep 19, 2016.

1. shigatashway macrumors member

I have yet to see anyone anywhere mention this, but I have been unable to use headphones with an inline mic successfully with the included adapter on an iPhone 7. Listening to audio works fine, and you can, in fact, hear the person on the other end of the line through the headphones, however they will NOT be able to hear you. In fact, none of the button controls function at all for phone calls. You can increase the volume, decrease the volume, and even invoke siri by pressing and holding the center button on the mic. However, you cannot answer a call by simply pressing the center button, and the person on the other end of the phone will not be able to hear you.

This makes me pretty upset, considering how often I use my earbuds. Frankly I'd return this thing and get my 6S back if the Apple Upgrade program worked that way. Has anyone had success in using standard headphones with an in-line mic for phone calls through the lightning/headphone adapter? I feel completely misled by Apple on this one.

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I have not tried but they do still sell the 6S and to boot it has twice the ram so at least the option is there.

3. kenhagemann macrumors member

Having the same issue with a set of bose headphones. Took to apple and seems to be an issue with the way the jack is set into the adaptor.

4. thedru13 macrumors regular

if this is true I will be returning mine.. I get it tomorrow. This would be very disappointing if its true.

5. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

You mean that you can potentially adjust the seating of the jack to get the inline mic working? Or it's a problem with the design of the adapter?

6. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

What do you mean it has twice the RAM? The iPhone 7 has 2GBs of RAM also.

@shigatashway I read in another thread that if you first plug the headphones into the adapter and then plug the adapter into the phone then the buttons work. I don't know about the mic.

7. shigatashway thread starter macrumors member

I have been able to use the buttons as per normal for listening to and controlling music, however the buttons do not function to take, end, or control the volume of any phone calls. The microphone, also, does not function.

8. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Got it thanks.

9. thedru13 macrumors regular

Anyone else able to confirm that this doesn't work? Is this with any headphones with inline mics?

10. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

My inline mic works fine with the adapter.

11. kenhagemann macrumors member

I have had this issue with nose before. If I take out and put back in it will work for while with the adaptor.

12. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

Just tried with an old pair of EarPods and a Bose earphone, every button works during a phone call and the mic works just fine.

13. thedru13 macrumors regular

Phew.. Okay thanks everyone for posting updates.

14. shigatashway thread starter macrumors member

Glad to hear, I'm going to test it out with some other earbuds when I get home, hopefully it may just be this pair.

15. kenhagemann macrumors member

The genius was able to replicate the issue with his Bose sound sports. That being said mine work 80% of the time however need to find another option for now.

16. McPhallus macrumors regular

Hmm. I hope this isn't a hardware issue on some units. I have a Bowers and Wilkins P3. When plugged in, the pause, volume up, and volume down controls work for a few minutes, then stop. Unplugging and reconnecting makes it work again for a few minutes, then it dies. Did they not test this?

17. kenhagemann macrumors member

Seems others are having issues. Bose support is aware and directed me to this.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/19/apple-lightning-earpods-bug-fix-coming/

18. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

My bad, twice the storage. I was on my way out the door when I was typing and just let my fingers do the talking.
    The updated 6S has twice the storage for roughly the same cost compared to the older models.

19. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

Voila. Apple is working on a fix for the issue. Rest assured, no need to return your iPhones.