Headphone/Mic jack splitter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HerrRogers, Jun 22, 2009.

1. HerrRogers macrumors newbie

I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro and while I think it's cool that I can use iPhone headphones with it I miss using my old school analog headset with a boom. I use skype for calls and find that people have a hard time hearing me with iPhone headphones. Is anyone aware of a splitter for that jack so that I can connect a headphone line and a mic line? I've seen lots of solutions that have a built in mic but I was hoping that there's simply a splitter out there somewhere.

Thanks.

2. HunterMaximus macrumors member

I was a little curious if something like this existed, and I came across this: http://www.showmecables.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=8335

It's for the iPhone, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work on the new MBPs. But at $20 it's a bit pricey for some passive circuitry and jacks that someone with some competent soldering skills could probably whip up for $2 of parts (way less if you bought in bulk. And a USB adapter can be had for $8...

3. HerrRogers thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome HunterMaximus. I feel the same way. Way expensive for something that should be pretty dang simple but maybe we're the only two in the world that would care for such a device. Thanks for the link. I'll probably bite the bullet and get it anyways.

4. HerrRogers thread starter macrumors newbie

5. HerrRogers thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally got the adapter

I ordered the adapter on 6/24 and just got it 7/9. I had called a rep and he said that they had to wait for a few parts because they have a guy that makes them by hand. Wha?

In any case they seem to be working great. Audio quality sound great with the headphones and the mic. The only beef I have is not with the adapter but with my mac and/or skype. I have a physical mute switch on my headset and if I use it then skype switches over to my internal mic after a bit. Good thing I didn't say anything embarrassing during my conference call.