Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mspin47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2015
I have a late 2014 IMAC 5k. My headphone output on the back is not working. Any ideas what this will require to have repaired. It is under Applecare. Has anyone had this happen. I am hoping not to have to wait too long for the machine. Someone told me that the mother board would have to be replaced. I am not so sure about that. Any insight would be helpful

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
I can't offer you any insight if it is indeed a hardware failure, but I would say that is very very unusual. I've lost count of the number of times that the output from the headphone socket has stopped due to some software error or other however.

Are you absolutely *certain* it's a hardware failure? Like have you booted from bootcamp and replicated the problem?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Does the headphone output port on the iMac offer "dual outputs" -- that is, does it offer a digital (optical) output as well as analog (ordinary headphone) output?

If it does offer dual outputs, be aware that there is a small "switch" that is a part of the headphone jack, that is designed to switch the digital output on or off, depending on what kind of plug is inserted into the jack.

The plug for a digital connection is slightly "longer" than a regular headphone plug.

It's -possible- that this switch may have gotten activated, and then remained stuck in the digital mode.
This can be ascertained by looking into the headphone port. If you see a "red light", that means that the iMac thinks it is supposed to be supplying a digital/optical output, not an analog output.

If it IS in digital mode, you won't get an analog signal into regular headphones.

In any case -- if the iMac is still under warranty, take it to an Apple Store and have them check it out. Let THEM resolve the problem.

mspin47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2015
I looked into the output jack and there is no red light.Is there some way to reset the machine? The bootcamp seems to be to set up windows so that suggestion does not seem to be plausible.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
I looked into the output jack and there is no red light.Is there some way to reset the machine? The bootcamp seems to be to set up windows so that suggestion does not seem to be plausible.

That's precisely why I suggested it - to eliminate any OS X related problems.

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
I have a late 2014 IMAC 5k. My headphone output on the back is not working. Any ideas what this will require to have repaired. It is under Applecare. Has anyone had this happen. I am hoping not to have to wait too long for the machine. Someone told me that the mother board would have to be replaced. I am not so sure about that. Any insight would be helpful

I don't know who "someone" is, but if that person can do accurate diagnosis without looking at the machine, maybe he or she should go to work at Apple. If he or she already works at Apple, then the statement should be "might" instead of "would".

The headphone jack is a separate device connected to the logic board by a cable. So depending on what has failed, you may not have to replace the main logic board. You might have to replace the whole case.

Are you positive you've exhausted all possible software issues? Checked settings in the Sound preferences pane? Reset PRAM? Physically unplugged the machine from power? Pushed the headphone plug fully into the jack?

From personal experience, it's best not to rush repairs at Apple Stores. In my quest to not have machines away too long, some have come back with rushed work--speakers not connected, screws not tightened, and so on.

mspin47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2015
I don't know who "someone" is, but if that person can do accurate diagnosis without looking at the machine, maybe he or she should go to work at Apple. If he or she already works at Apple, then the statement should be "might" instead of "would".

The headphone jack is a separate device connected to the logic board by a cable. So depending on what has failed, you may not have to replace the main logic board. You might have to replace the whole case.

Are you positive you've exhausted all possible software issues? Checked settings in the Sound preferences pane? Reset PRAM? Physically unplugged the machine from power? Pushed the headphone plug fully into the jack?

From personal experience, it's best not to rush repairs at Apple Stores. In my quest to not have machines away too long, some have come back with rushed work--speakers not connected, screws not tightened, and so on.

I checked the out in the sound preferences and it recognizes when the jack is plugged into the machine but no sound. How is the PRAM reset? I will try unplugging the machine.

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
I checked the out in the sound preferences and it recognizes when the jack is plugged into the machine but no sound. How is the PRAM reset? I will try unplugging the machine.

If you are at Preferences->Sound->Output and you see the headphones pop up in the list when plugged in, does the volume bar at the bottom change? The Mac retains volume levels for different output devices and you may have to adjust/turn up the volume when using different devices.

Here's an Apple Support document on how to reset the PRAM. It states that the volume settings are stored there, which is why resetting might be necessary.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

mspin47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2015
If you are at Preferences->Sound->Output and you see the headphones pop up in the list when plugged in, does the volume bar at the bottom change? The Mac retains volume levels for different output devices and you may have to adjust/turn up the volume when using different devices.

Here's an Apple Support document on how to reset the PRAM. It states that the volume settings are stored there, which is why resetting might be necessary.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

You were right. The It somehow was on mute. I just slid the volume level and unchecked mute. Works

Thanks to everyone for their help

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
You were right. The It somehow was on mute. I just slid the volume level and unchecked mute. Works

Thanks to everyone for their help

You know, I was about to suggest this earlier, and then thought naa.. I didn't want to be Captain Obvious.

Crazy how sometimes the obvious thing is the thing we ALL miss.

Glad it's working now!

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
As I said above, I've lost count of the number of times I've lost the sound for no apparent reason. Been there, worn that tee-shirt!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.