Headphone port/microphone not working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iBryton, Jun 15, 2014.

1. iBryton macrumors regular

Hi guys,

iPhone 5S

Basically when I insert the headphones into the port it does not detect the headphones and continues to play through the speakers. I've gone to the apple store multiple times and all I can really do is restore the device and set it up as a new device for it to work.

This is starting to piss me off because the problem keeps occurring. So the issue is when I plug in a headphone, it does not detect it. In addition, with or without a headphone plugged in, the microphone does not work and people cannot hear me over the phone.

Any ideas? It would be greatly appreciated.

2. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Had that happen to me on my 5s.
    But mine was stuck in headphone mode.

I first used a toothpick with paper attached to the tip then i used compressed air to blow into the headphone jack.

Then i remember messing with something sound related in settings. After awhile it started working again

3. iBryton thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, the only way to get my headphone to work is by turning off the device, plugging in headphones, and restarting. Then at that point it was stuck in headphone mode however five minutes later after having a headphone NOT plugged in it returned to the speaker.

4. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Disable mono audio in accessablittly
    And then hold the power and home button until you get to the apple logo screen.

See if that works

5. iBryton thread starter macrumors regular

Mono audio was already turned off, I restored the device as a new phone and it still does not work.

6. cuculu macrumors newbie

same issue here

it started two weeks ago after a restart.
    Now, sometimes if not always .., when I plug the headphones the sound still comes from the internal speaker. To hear the sound through the headphones i have to sleep/wake the MBP (late 2011)

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!!

7. hockeyman94 macrumors regular

It's defective swap it at an apple store with your 1 year warranty it's hardware issue not a software issue

8. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Ya it definitely sounds like hardware. You're probably wasting your time with all the resets.

9. cuculu macrumors newbie

listen here boy wonders, if you're 15-16y old then I kinda understand your lack of knowledge and the urge to post random sh|t online.. .. otherwise please mind your own business.

this is not a hardware issue! it's software.

people tend to use these forums in search of a quick solution to their needs, not to scroll 1000x useless posts. so please restrain yourselves from followups.

I found the solution here

basically you need to :

Close all windows and quit all applications.

Click "Go" menu in the Finder menubar.

Select Computer, then Macintosh HD / Library / Preferences

Open "Audio" folder.

Right click these two files and select "Move to Trash".

com.apple.audio.DevicesSettings.plist
    com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist

Close the window. Restart the computer.

worked like a charm on my machine.

10. hockeyman94 macrumors regular

How long have you been repairing phones for? hmmm....

Now that you have soaked that in He said he's restored it multiple times and I assumed that he restored it at the apple store too. Its clearly a hardware problem.