Headphone Reccomendation

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by dukebound85, Dec 27, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Hi all, I got a gift card to ultimate electronics for 50 bucks and would like to put it towards a new pair of head-phones

Does anyone have a set they like? I would like to not go over 80 bucks total and ideally stay within the 50 amt

The kind I am looking for is the kind that cups one's ears

Thanks for any suggestions as I am fairly ignorant when it comes to headphone brands and what to look for!

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

Grado SR-60i ( Rock,Alternative,Metal ) http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestig...PMU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293535500&sr=8-1

Sennheiser HD515 ( Alternative,Jazz,Slower Music ) http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Dy...4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1293535598&sr=1-4

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 ( Classical,Jazz, not a lot of bass ) http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-...9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1293535598&sr=1-9

I have listened too the AD700 before and was extremely impressed for the price. Of course audio is personal and subjective so its up to you really to find which sound you like more. If I had to pick just one phone on that list it would be the AD700s but thats just me. I think as long as you stay away from Bose and Beats you will be fine. Again just my opinion.

3. Irick macrumors newbie

Seconded. I love me some Grado SR-60i for open air. However, i don't see them in the Ultimate Electronic cataloge. My personal cans are the MDR-V6, again not in their catalogue. Closest i see are the MDR V500DJ Headphone, which will be a little bit more bias to heavy bass then the V6 moniters, but still should be a solid pair of cans. I hear some great things about Sennhisers all the time, so they can't be a bad choise either. Like the above poster advised, just avoid Skullcandy, Beats by Dre, and Bose and you should be good.

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

ended up getting the Sennheiser HD218 ones. So far I like the comfort and sound. Only downside is that the volume tends to be low compared to my stock apple headphones and that the wire seems really thin (like the apple ear buds, not like my brother's sony head sets)

Does anyone else have this set? If so, you like them? good choice?

5. Irick macrumors newbie

Yes, those are nice, however, ad you found out, they have a higher electrical resistance then your Apple stock headphones. That can be solved with an external amp, and it will also give you the benefit of less distorted sound. Here is a link to a cheep iPod/iPhone amp: http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E1-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B002UBREZQ (it also has the benefit of adding an inline remote, which is nice)

6. PRPS macrumors member

PRPS

i gotta go with the Beyerdynamic Dt770

they're one of the better models for under $300

7. Nuck81 macrumors regular

These

Seriously for the money you can't get a better set of headphones. I have a pair and I love them. I've had tons of people buy some after listening to mine too. You seriously can't go wrong with these!!

8. derek.fulmer macrumors member

derek.fulmer

Sony MDR-7506.

I own a pair, about to buy another, and absolutely love them. I use them for recording and for listening to my vinyl records late at night. Superb sound quality and frequencies are spaced really well. They have been in every studio I've recorded in or stepped in and I think that's for good reason.

The other ones I've tried at great extent are also the Beyerdynamics DT-770s. VERY comfortable and sound great, too.

The Sony's can be had on amazon for about $86.

9. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Wow, you are not kidding. I looked these up on Amazon and everyone is raving about them like crazy...even more surprising considering the price. I was considering getting the Bose Quiet Comfort 15 noise cancelling headphones but I might actually buy a pair of these instead for listening to my iPod since they have such a low impedance and are a LOT cheaper than the Bose.. thanks for the tip! :D

10. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Another vote for the Sony MDR-7506. I'm on my 3rd pair over the past 15 or so years. They are the industry standard for most studios. I used them for years while working as a sound editor/designer for Avid/M-Audio/Ableton.

Though I do look kind of ridiculous when I also use them for my iPhone... :eek:

11. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

While most my mp3s are 192k and 256k, would it makes sense to spend much money on headphones? Those are not even cd quality, isn't it?

12. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

You are correct that mp3 files are lossy and therefore not the same as CD quality, however at 256kB very few people can actually really tell the difference in a true double blind test. Lots of people will tell you that they can though.. :rolleyes:

So good speakers are still worth having even with mp3s, especially those recorded at the higher quality.

13. pcypert macrumors 6502

It really depends what you're using. I upgraded sound card (external) and speakers and suddenly grew tired of my crappier low-fi mp3's. Can tell a diff. 320 or Flac if I can now...more towards FLAC...annoying with space but much better for the songs I want to milk everything out of.

But you do have to have some other things in place before you'll start to hear it. On Gizmodo they did blind tests and for MP3 256 seemed to be the threshold, but most could tell full CD over a MP3...

14. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Do you mind if I ask which sound card you are using? Is this for the Macbook Pro?