Headphone Recommendation

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gatepc, Jun 25, 2010.

1. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I am looking for a new pair of headphones for listening to all types of music from electronic to classical. Currently I am using a Sennheiser PX 100 but they are getting old and on the verge of breaking. I listen to AAC audio at 320Kbps and some apple lossless. I only listen on my computer or my iPod touch ( my computers sound card puts out 32bit 98KHz ) I also want a noticeable upgrade from my PX 100's. I can spend a maximum of $200 and not a dollar more. What do you guys recommend?

Some headphones for thought below?

I was looking at the Denon HD 1001K for about $141 would this be good? and if so will it be a big upgrade from my current headphones?

Possibly the PX 100's MK II? $70

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 $150

Sennheiser HD-595 Premier Headphone $180

Thank you for your help in advance

Also I don't want any recommendation for Bose, I am not a fan of artificially enhanced sound. I want something that sounds the way that the composers wanted there music to be heard.

2. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Why not consider the new improved PX100 Series 2? They look like they're built better, and the cable is enters one side which eliminates tangles. I've been using the PX100's as well. I think they're great. The Series 2 are supposed to be better sounding. Just a thought.

Check out this link PX100 II

3. gatepc thread starter macrumors 6502

gatepc

Putting it on the list of consideration. The only thing I would be worried about is I read that it is better but is it a lot better? I want something thats not only going to replace my current headphones but something thats going to be a nice upgrade to my old ones as well. Like I said I don't mind spending up to $200 for a pair of headphones.

BTW love HeadRoom :)

4. danielcox macrumors member

Go for the HD555s instead of the 595s - cheaper and essentially the same.
    Would you be against IEMs? Often you can get extremely good performance from these for less money - $200 would probably get you a custom moulded set.

5. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

6. TSE macrumors 68030

The Koss Portapros have the best sound quality for the price probably. They are like 30 bucks and not a thing has been changed about them since they were created in 1984.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i think that this thread has some good suggestions :)

my opinions are in there.

8. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

if you want a more solid recommendation i suggest paying a visit to the head-fi.org forums. people there really know their stuff.

9. gatepc thread starter macrumors 6502

gatepc

Thanks for everyones recommendations. Right now I am leaning towards the HD 595's because I have read good reviews on them and I am hoping that just like with computers you get what you pay for. So spending 190 dollars on these headphones ( normal price I think is like $300 or something ) hopefully will sound better then a $80 pair of PX 100's or what not. I could be wrong but I will probably be happy with any of these options so even if I pick the pair that might not be the best I am sure I will be happy with it.

Thank you all again for your advice

10. Xavier macrumors 68020

11. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'm a Headphone geek. Besides my PX 100's which I use exclusively with my iPod Nano, I have this bedside system with a tubed headphone amp made by Woo Audio (WA6), Sennheiser HD650's, Denon D 2000's,Sony MDR V6's, and a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V2 CD Player. I'm also a member of head-fi.org, not as Mr.McMac though :)

[​IMG]

12. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Can't go wrong with some sennheiser HD's or Audio Technica ATH series. Also have to consider Grados (although I've heard that they aren't as comfortable). I have the audio technica ath-a700's and really enjoy them. I can wear them for long periods of time with no discomfort.

13. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

I am soooooo frikin envious of u rite now. that is my dream setup.:D too bad that is currently way too expensive for my wallet.

14. danielcox macrumors member

I think I've seen that picture in the show off your equipment thread...

15. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Hi Daniel,

You're on head-fi.org right?

16. danielcox macrumors member

Ya, same username.

17. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I've seen you then. My user name on head-fi is atbglenn

18. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

You should see some of the systems some of guys have on head-fi.org. Makes mine look like a beginner setup. Some headphone systems going for well over $10,000. Crazy, right?

19. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

hey! i frequent that forum too! same username. and i know about all those crazy setups but i would be happy with just that one u have lol.

20. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

If I were a millionaire, I'd give you my system. Since I'm not, forget it! :p

21. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

I second the advice to get the HD555s, for listening with your computer or your iPod, they are MORE than enough, and cheaper than the 595s.

22. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I cannot recommend Grado enough, their SR-60s are very, very good and they're dirt cheap.
    However, I do also have the Sennheiser HD555s that everyone keeps raving about, and I can definitely recommend those as well.

23. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

So, which ones did you get? How are they performing?

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly; I'm interested in the OP's response to this, as well.

Interesting thread, and thanks for the information and comments posted from those who have taken the time and trouble to do so.

Are the HD 555s as good as people say? Better say, than the 595s, or 598s?

Cheers