Headphones (for on the bike)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DoobieBrother, Sep 12, 2008.

1. DoobieBrother macrumors newbie

Trying to decide on headphones to wear when I'm riding my motorcycle. I'm thinking something that pushes in ear to cut out wind noise and hear the music without having to crank it up insanely. Also I have pretty small ears. Any thoughts?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Is that legal?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You really want thoughts? Or just suggestions on what to buy?

4. DoobieBrother thread starter macrumors newbie

It's no different than cranking up the stereo in your car with the windows closed so you can't hear anything else at all. Actually, I normally wear ear plugs to cut wind noise, but I can still hear my surroundings. I'm planning for the same with iPod but hear music that's at a reasonable level, but still hear other things. I guarantee I'm also looking out for more visually on my bike than the average person EVER pays attention to in their car.

I really don't want to mount speakers on the bike... Now about those headphones?

5. DoobieBrother thread starter macrumors newbie

Suggestions on what to buy / what will work.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just a question: are you as much a "newbie" to riding as you are to iPods, or to this forum?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Huh, don't wear headphones on the bike unless you want to be hit by a truck and die.

8. DoobieBrother thread starter macrumors newbie

Not in the least. I've been riding for a long time.

Does anyone actually have any headphone suggestions though?

9. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

It shouldn't be legal. It's not legal in Pennsylvania, but it does vary by state. Some states allow it, some don't allow it, and some allow single earphones only.

:rolleyes: I'm glad you care more about aesthetics than you do about safety. As another driver on the road, I don't want to be driving on the same road with someone who either wears earplugs or headphones. You're a danger to the road.

You are right to a point with the comparison to cranking up the stereo in a car. Those people are, how should I say, blockheads. Don't be a blockhead. Besides, they'll need hearing aids when they turn 40.

10. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

its illegal to drive a car and wear headphones why would it be any different for a motorcycle?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are those who ride motorcycles, and then there are bikers. No truly experienced biker would wear music headphones to distract them from hearing what's going on around them. Wind-blocking earplugs are a completely different matter, as they still allow you to hear even normal conversations. I first started riding almost 40 years ago and I ride 25-30K miles a year. I would never recommend any rider wear music headphones while riding and none of the bikers I ride with would, either. It's not only illegal in many states, it's extremely dangerous and foolish. I wouldn't contribute to someone's accident by recommending the headphones that could be a factor.

12. DoobieBrother thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind. Geez. You guys are amazing. For the record to the one the mentioned ear plugs. They are highly recommended by many that are in the know on motorcycles. That is unless you'd like to lose your hearing after years of riding. Forget I asked.

13. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

Spare us the morals, people!:rolleyes:

I used to wear some Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3 headphones when I had my Vespa. Ultimate Ears sound great, and they also block out like -26db, so you definitely won't hear much wind noise or traffic. I currently use the Super.Fi 4 vi which works with the iPhone. Highly recommended. http://www.ultimateears.com

Do not get Bose!

14. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

We're just looking out for you.

(don't remember the source) But pedestrian (at fault) road crossing accidents around city areas occur because they couldn't hear the oncoming vehicle.

15. klymr macrumors 65816

That's because the dumbasses don't remember that rule from their childhood; Look both ways before crossing the street!

16. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

I actually do understand the earplugs for hearing protection, but cranking up the volume on your headphones to drown out wind/traffic noise won't help your hearing.

We're looking out for you but for ourselves, as well. I'm on the road, too. So is my girlfriend, my mother, my brother, my sisters, my brothers-in-law, my nephews, my niece, my uncle, my aunt, etc...

I don't want to be in an accident because of someone else's negligence.

Just an FYI, the same holds true for any asinine who wants to do something stupid while driving a vehicle (i.e. speeding, rolling stops, listening to loud music, not paying attention, reading, talking on a cell phone, texting, tailgating, etc etc etc....)

17. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

right. OP: don't be offended, just consider the thoughts of everyone in this thread before you ride bumpin the earphones...