Headphones jack problem when muting audio

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PoianaNana, Nov 12, 2010.

1. PoianaNana macrumors member

Hi all, I just discovered what may be a bug in the audio subsystem...

I'd like to know if you experience the same and how to report the bug since I'm an Apple newbie and I have no idea how to...

I often listen to music while I work and I use headphones not to bother my colleagues...

Since my headphones are difficult to wear, in Windows I was used to mute the system and unplug the jack so that I could go to collect my documents from the shared printer without bothering colleagues with my music...

I just tried the same behavior here on my default MBP 15" mid 2010 (except for Hi-Def Glossy Screen) and I noticed that the music was playing through the speaker when I went back to my desk...

Instead I think the system should remember the state of the sound subsystem when plugging/unplugging a jack... am I right?

As I said in the beginning, do you experience the same?
    How to ask Apple to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
    Ste

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

OSX is better than Windows! :)

I think it maintains a separate volume level for headphones and speaker. So if you have the sound turned up on the speaker, then put headphones in and mute the sound, the sound will go back to the speaker level when the headphones are unplugged.

Try muting the sound on the speaker. Now plug the headphones in and choose the volume you need. Now unplug the headphones. Does the volume go back to muted speaker level?