Headphones making buzzing noise, only 3 weeks old

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by JeffMonty, May 12, 2008.

1. JeffMonty macrumors member

So I just got an iPod Touch about 3 weeks ago (I love it by the way) but the headphones have started making a faint buzzing noise while playing both songs and videos (They've never been damaged or wet or anything). I plan on calling Apple to see if I can get a replacement pair but wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas as to what to do.

I was thinking of buying better headphones online, but I already have a pair of Sony MDR-EX 71's. I would use those because the sound is pretty good, but the wire is way too long (it's actually two separate pieces, one section is about 1 foot long and with the other its about 4 feet long.) They came with a cord management piece that you can wrap the excess cord around, but it weighs down the earbuds too much and gets in the way.

I'm looking to either just get the replacements (the sound quality is fine for me) or maybe spend <$35 on good headphones that are about the same length as the stock iPod ones. Any ideas as to what to do / which ones to buy?

2. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

People are going to hate me for saying this, but if you were happy with the ipod headphones, you should just buy another set of ipod headphones since they are cheap and you KNOW you will like them. I've got a set of MDR V6's (old school) that I use at work and at home, but on the move I just use the old ipod headphones.

I would just save your money there mate.

Arisian

3. Drucifer macrumors regular

Don't buy another pair of Apple iPod headphones. They are garbage. Mine died in a few weeks as well.

Apple will replace them but they will need your credit card information. They get the info so that you will return the defective headphones. If you don't return them then they will charge your credit card for the new pair they sent you.

I've purchased three different iPods and one for my wife and all sets of headphones lasted no more than 2 months. If you want a good cheap pair of replacement headphones get JVC Marshmallow's.

4. donmei macrumors regular

I cant tell from your post if you ahve confirmed that it is the headphones and not the Ipod.

have you swapped out the apple hf for another set?

The reason i ask is that my touch developed a buzz after about a week. I returned it to the store for another one and the problem went away.

Incidentally, this noise was audible with a high end set of etymonics in canal phones and when connected to my car stereo (direct connect to a JL audio amp), but I couldt hear it through the apple phones.

don

5. JeffMonty thread starter macrumors member

I tried another pair, the aforementioned Sony MDR's, and had no problem at all today. So it's definitely the stock Apple ones that came with it. It only seems to be occurring in the right ear, but it's still very annoying. I'm going to call Apple tomorrow and see if I can get another pair from them.