Headphones Mic and Play/Pause won't work

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thisisarcadia, Jan 7, 2010.

1. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

Recently my phone has stopped responding to the play/pause and skip function on the iphone headphones. The mic also doesnt work. I thought it was the headphones at first so i went and got them replaced at the apple store. with the new headphones i tried it again and they still didn't work. I restored the phone and they still dont work. What do you think is wrong. Is it something to do with hardware in the phone? And if so would it be covered in the apple care warranty? Thanks

2. muttonhead411 macrumors member

you should bring your phone in together with the new headset and let them diagnose the problem. Keeping a clean restore will make diagnosis much easier.

if its still in warranty, and if its a hardware issue, they will replace it.

3. Zerase macrumors member

Zerase

Lint in the headphone jack - Seriously, i had this problem last week. Could hear music fine, just not use the button or mic... Grab a plastic toothpick or something and start digging out of the headphone slot. It took me a while to get it all out, or even to start getting anything in the first place, but it works like new now.