Headphones no longer recognized by macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cjenkins505, Nov 2, 2009.

1. cjenkins505 macrumors member

Hi I have been using my headphones in new macbook pro for about 3 months and everything has worked fine. About two weeks ago I started using external speakers, but my headphones still worked when I plugged them in, until about yesterday. The headphones are not even recognized the the volume just goes throught the laptop speakers. My headphones work with my ipod still so I know they are fine. Any thoughts?

2. Av1o3 macrumors member

Hmm did you try using your external speakers after you tried your headphones? If those don't work either i think you might need to visit your local apple store lol.

3. cjenkins505 thread starter macrumors member

4. redcrow240 macrumors member

hold down the option key and then click on the sound icon on the top right of the screen. Make sure you have "output" selected and that you have the rest of the options correct. When you plug in headphones the output device should change from "internal speakers" to "headphones" for example.

Hope this helps

5. cjenkins505 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. I got the headphones to be recognized but the volume is still just coming through the macbook speakers