headphones or speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by illibball087, Aug 26, 2009.

1. illibball087 macrumors regular

i am in the market for some sound and i need it to be good

stay under 350 please

HEADPHONES OR SPEAKERS? and what model

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

3. illibball087 thread starter macrumors regular

sorry what i mean is i want a set of computer speakers or headphones that will sound great, last long, and deliver for under 350...i may pay more if its worth it

4. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

IMHO Your looking for a pair of speakers known as the Logitech Z-5500 :)

they sell for around $325 on Amazon and are THX certified 505 WATTS RMS and 1010 WATTS peak power. They are 5.1 surround sound and have optical digital in which you would connect to your mac. They sound super clear when listening to classical music and on the other side of the spectrum things like electronic music and hip hop will have enough bass to shack things off your walls if you want it too ( I know this first hand lol )

5. dandaman2 macrumors regular

here's what I've got
    the same laptop, plus a pair of Shure SE210s (I think the SE310s would also be in your price range, which are Shure's cheapest earphones with double drivers.) I like them for privacy because I'm often in a public setting (for that reason I vote headphones) and they're high quality audio. Although, I have had to send them back once... that was my iPhone remote, which also works with your mac.

When I want speakers, I'm looking for volume, not quality, so I use the internal ones. If I had more of a budget on the other hand...

6. snakesqzns macrumors regular

snakesqzns

7. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

8. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

For that amount of scratch, you can have both. I managed to pick up my Logitech Z-5500s - as mentioned, a full 5.1 system, for about $140 on sale. Look around and you can find sales for these.

That still leaves you over $150 with which to buy studio quality headphones. Some people like Grado, some people like AKG, some people like M-audio. All good picks.

If you don't like 5.1, I hear that the Swan M40 and M-audio AV40s are both good 2.0 sets. And you can definitely afford them.