Headphones ruined by MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pharonyk, Apr 27, 2010.

1. pharonyk macrumors member

Hello everyone!

I just purchased the 15'' i7 MacBook Pro (check my sig for specs) last week and I went through a little incident last night. This is my first Mac ever and I decided to listen to music on it through my headphones that came with the iPhone 2G. (Yes it has a mic on the headphones)

I put the headphones into the correct hole and.... it seemed to be about 2 cm out of the MBP... so I applied a little bit of pressure and had the headphones click in to touch the aluminum.

Audio worked great until...

[​IMG]

I decided to remove the headphones but it was very difficult because it felt like it was jammed in. I pull it out and I find that the white cover of the headphones (that holds the metal rings) disconnected. It was like superglue sliding off an object... now my iPhone headphones are ruined. The metal rings were still inside the MBP and I had to use my fingernails to get a good grip to pull it out.

Is the MacBook Pro headphone hole like yours? I mean... I don't know if it was my headphones that were already worn out or if the MBP didn't need pressure.

2. puercaeli macrumors regular

Yeah I think it's kind of headphones fault as well...
    Think that is why they change the plug design

3. pharonyk thread starter macrumors member

They changed the headphones plug design? Really!?

I never knew that...

4. haisdeaks macrumors member

I had the same problem with my headphones too. The jack was ridiculously stiff the first time I used it but it got easier after the first couple of times.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I had the same issue with those headphones! Not with my MBP but with an audio extension cable. I broke them trying to remove them from the cable : /

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

My iPhone 2G headphones did that with a Toshiba laptop the first time I used them. My 3G iPhone headphones have been used multiple times already with my new 2010 MBP...no issues.

7. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

just went around plugging stereo plugs into all the apple audio jacks in the house. The 15" i5 Macbook Pro and Feb 2010 13" MBP do have a stiffer fit. Pre-Unibody MBP was sold yesterday so cant try, Macbook air was normal fit, same as iPhone 3GS.

8. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

Stop Whining, but yeah man I know what you mean, I had the same problem with my iPhone HD headphones in my MacBook Pro

9. henhog macrumors newbie

Sorry, is it just me or do you have an express card slot in your 15" MBP??? That tab thing to the right of your audio jacks looks like the 17" MBP, but with only 2 USB ports??

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

That MBP probably came with a slight misalignment with the case and the innard.

Older 15 MBP's had them.

11. henhog macrumors newbie

Hmmmm, sorry. Pharonyk said it was an i7 15"...

12. Nghia Nguyen macrumors member

Nghia Nguyen

Interesting. You have a nice phone.

13. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

It had me for a while...the photo isn't of the new MBP's.

14. pharonyk thread starter macrumors member

Nope, the photo was grabbed off some website since I didn't have a good camera around. I'm still using the same headphones right now and the plastic cover of the rings is completely ripped apart, dangling all over the place like beaten piñata.

15. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I use my 3G headphones and no problems, they just fit ok.