Headphones sounds BETTER on iPhone X vs 7 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Nov 5, 2017.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

I am playing music and it makes my headphones sound WAY better as if the audio module has been upgraded.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    While using the lightening port adapter

2. Madonnnaaaaaaaaa macrumors newbie

Agree, audio to me sounds better on the x than it did on the 7

3. QquegChristian macrumors 6502

I am 99% sure that this is impossible. When plugged into the Lightning jack, it is the headphones themselves that are processing the digital signal into sound that your ears can hear. The phone isn’t playing music, it’s transmitting 0s and 1s for the headphones to play.

It would be like saying a certain brand of WiFi router makes images on the internet look better. The phone is just a middleman now.

That all said, the Lightning earbuds or adapter could have gone through a quiet component change if you’re using new ones, but the new ones should also sound better on the older phone.

4. TrainFromUkraine macrumors member

TrainFromUkraine

I can't tell any difference, but then again I am on Bluetooth audio 99% of the time.

5. Jjayf macrumors 6502

3.5mm headphones can not convert digital to analogue, you need a DAC chip to do that. That's what the lightening port adaptor is for it contains the DAC. Lightning port equipped earbuds have the DAC in the plug.

The only way wired earphones could sound better is if the DAC in the adaptor went through some upgrades, which is possible since there was quality loss in the audio on the 7.

6. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Haven’t gotten there yet. I have Pioneer RayZ and a set of Sony Headphones with lightning connection and its own DAC. Fingers crossed I will be happy.

7. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

This is kind of messed up. As others here have said, the phone has nothing to do with it. They offloaded that task to adapters with the 7.

So if what your saying is true, there's been an upgrade to the lightning DAC that they use in the earbuds and adapter.
    This means, we have no idea which one we get if we order one, etc. They all look the same. Absolutely no way to tell, except by sound, and that's not going to be reliable. Just the fact they can make a little DAC like that is amazing.