Headphones under $40?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sansa11, Dec 21, 2008.

1. sansa11 macrumors member

I was looking for some on-ear headphones that would be under $40 and the only results I got were those Skullcandy ones that I don't like because they aren't very comfortable and they leak a lot of sound. (my sister has one)

I was wondering if any of you know of some good on-ear headphones that don't cost more than $40 but still sound nice. Of course one with noise-cancellation won't be in that price range. But I'll have to deal with that. Any suggestions?

2. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Zune Premium Headphones!!! I use them for my iPhone and love them!!!!!

The cheapest i have seen are at walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7966247

3. sansa11 thread starter macrumors member

Well those are really nice for in-ear headphones, but those never feel comfortable for me and I really like on-ear headphones better.

4. Slowstick macrumors 6502

I understand. Then I would recommend going to cnet and checking out their reviews. Headphones aren't really in my area of expertise.:D

5. sansa11 thread starter macrumors member

6. gothamm macrumors 6502a

7. sansa11 thread starter macrumors member

WOW those are nice:eek: And I heard that Sennheiser is a very trusted brand among music lovers everywhere.

8. Slowstick macrumors 6502

seem kind of ugly to me. The sound quality better make up for that!:D

9. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I'll take a real Sennheiser over that thingy everyday. Give me at least an HD595, or nothing at all. Sure, a bit more espensive, but well worth it, audio quality-wise. In fact, wouldn't it be better for the OP to just go for a Sennheiser HD515? It's slightly above budget (about $75), but well worth the extra money. Then again, I myself have lost my heart to the top Audio-Technica phones, so I won't be buying Sennheiser anymore.

10. gothamm macrumors 6502a

The OP specifically mentioned that he wants over the ears UNDER $40, so i recommended these excellent senn's. And have you heard these phones? there are countless people on head-fi (who btw REALLY know their audio) who can attest to their greatness.

HD515's are crap, give me at least HD650 or the Grado RS-1's...so its a few extra hundred bucks... :rolleyes:

11. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Yeah, head-fi is a great place to browse for reviews and impressions on headphones. And no, I haven't heard the PX100s. If they're really that good, then the OP should totally go for them. It's just that I personally hate on-the-ear phones myself.

Personally, I have no experience with the HD515s, but guessed that they would be a steal for their money as they're in the 'audiophile' HD5XX-range. Haven't heard the HD650s myself, either. I did hear the HD595s and while I liked them, I did find they were too up-front and dark (bassy) for my taste. I now have the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900s and think they're wonderful. Leaps and bounds beyond the HD595s. Very clear and detailed in it's highs and mids. The bass is very tight, too. Nothing like the dark, pompous bass of the HD595s, but very realistic. I had the pleasure to test the K701s recently and was seriously tempted to get those as well. But what does an extra set of cans get you when you already have a good pair? Plus, the money... :eek: