Headphones

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thesk1llerz, May 21, 2011.

1. thesk1llerz, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011

thesk1llerz macrumors member

thesk1llerz

Hey all
    I'm looking for some durable headphones or earbuds. I have gone through 3 INK'D ear buds and 2 Skullcandy Crushers. I travel a lot and the plug will be in my pocket a lot when in my ipod, and be pushed against the wall from time to time when in my laptop. So anyone have any recommendations?
    Please Note they don't need to be some fancy 7.1 noise canceling, super bass, built in mic thing.
    They just need to be basic headphones they don't die after 2 weeks of being handled fairly roughly.
    All input is appreciated.
    ~Sk1llz

2. mac00l macrumors 6502

I use the Klipsch Image S4. They are in-ear earbuds, they sound awesome and isolate the sound quite great. You can get them at almost any retail for 80 dollars.

They won't die on you, they have a 2 year warranty.

3. Baral macrumors member

Cannot recommend these enough. I have used close to 50 headphones/IEMs over the past 4 or 5 years, and the Klipsch Image S4 are the best sub-100 IEMs I have had the pleasure of listening to. They are incredibly comfortable and the sound quality is fantastic. The bass is strong enough without overpowering and the highs don't come off as being tinny. They are also superb at sound isolation.

The Image S4i is about 10 dollars more and comes with a sound clip/microphone so if you have an iPhone, I would definitely suggest picking that up.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

I have had my Seinnhauser PXC300s for several years and they are as good as new. Personally, I can hear a hissing noise that drives me nuts, but other people are apparently unable to detect the noise or unaffected. Anyhow, these are some very sturdy headphones, with the additional bonus of noise canceling. I have generally been impressed with the sturdy construction of Seinnhauser stuff.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PXC300-Canceling-Supra-Aural-Headphones/dp/B00080O0UI

The best headphones I have ever owned, though, are my Bose Q15. As far as I can tell, they are the best at canceling noise. But, I don't think they would be for you, so you can scratch them off your list :)

They come with a nice case that will protect them if you put them into it. Out of the case, they are fairly fragile, and not built as well as you would expect for 300+ dollars. You have to be careful walking near walls, bending down to get something out of a desk drawer, and so forth. Mine have somehow survived more than a year of daily use, but I think I may have just been lucky.

5. MacOCD macrumors regular

I've had a pair of Shure headphones for 2 years now. Kinda pricy, but they sound great and last long.

6. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I really really have to agree. Although i have the S4i with the mic. And i would recommend that one! Got it for my birthday present 2 years ago and i've been using it ever since! Best buds ever!

7. KwanMan macrumors regular

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Earphone-Headphone-MP3-MP4-iPods-Nano-PDA-PSP-Red-/280608270487?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item41558e6897#ht_938wt_733

they'll only last like 2 weeks but you can buy 80 of these for the same price as those Klipsch Image S4's and that will last u 160 weeks = 3 years

8. mikeytwice macrumors member

9. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I've got a pair of Ultimate Ears and they have replaceable cables (at least mine do). It may cost a bit more upfront, but the ability to change the damaged cable for <$10 would probably make it a good buy.

10. engaged44 macrumors member

dre beats studio's are where it's at. looks good with a MBP too. :)

11. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    had these for a week and was sold on e-bay
    they look the part- but the sound really is not that amazing

After much hunting around, i finally settled for the klipsh s4i

these are outstanding - but noted they are delicate - best earphones i have ever purchased - cost me £95 from apple store uk ($158) - worth them tho

ps - be weary of ultra cheap klipsh headphones on ebay - plenty of cheap chinese replicas gong around

12. MiracleWhip macrumors newbie

Get a pair of audio-technica ath-m50s. Take it from a head-fier. Those will blow you away for under $200. Check it's reviews on head-fi.com or headphone.com or others.

13. phas3 macrumors 65816

Sennheiser HD555
    Audiotechnica m50
    Beyerdynamic DT880

14. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Can't believe I'm the first to recommend Etymotic Research. The first pair I got were the 6i, and I've had them for about five years. The sound is unbelievably crisp and accurate. A couple years ago I got a set of the hf5. They're a little more durably built with a higher output and very tight bass response. Great headphones. They're not highly marketed and from my extensive research I've found that they compete with the higher priced competitors.

15. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I've taken the train to work for most of my adult life, so my personal audio setup is kind of like my car stereo. Consequently I've been through a bunch of phones.

In ear:
    I started off using some discontinued Sony model which sounded good, but was a little too thick on the bass (to some a plus). My problem with them was that the silicone tips would sometimes get stuck in my ear and I'd have to pluck it them out with a tweezer when I got to the office/home. Cost was the lowest of all I've tried about $60.

Next was the Etymotic ER4-P. Very flat response, which I liked, but the wires were extremely microphonic. The slightest brush against them and you hear it loud and clear. But when you were standing still and the program material was recorded and mastered well, it was like heaven. I think they were like $200 at the time.

After that I tried the cheaper Etyomitic phones that were more like the Sony in terms of frequency response, but they were cheap and uncomfortable.

Then it was the Shure 4 model which ever that was at the time. Those were a good combination of comfort, sound, and build. The mids were a bit muddy, though.

After that it was the Shure 5 whatever it was called then with the push to talk thing (which is still in some drawer unused). The response was great. Round bass, acceptable mids, but a bit dull on the highs. Comfort was ok, but I never got why the wires had to come out of the top. It was hard for me to keep them tucked behind my earlobe and it felt like I had these crazy hairs growing out back there. I used these from 2006 until about 6 months ago. One of the wires started fraying and the liquid electrical tape didn't last long as a solution. I think these were around $500 when I got them, which is when they first came out, I think. The current model is a lot cheaper, I think.

In the meantime I tried the UE three driver model and found that they were extremely uncomfortable. There was a plastic ring that would press up against the opening of my ear canal and it had a prominent seam which felt like a cheese grater. I called them and they said they're all like that and basically if I didn't like them I should bring them back.

I also tried the Westone 3 driver and couldn't get any of the tips to make a seal. Called them and after being transferred around, they finally said someone would call me back in 3-5 days that could help me. Back they went.

Thanks for reading if you got this far. Now I'm using the new version of the Etymotic ER-4P, which has better wire and I think the response is better, too.
    These were $300 at B&H. I'm no audiophile and most of what I listen to is Industrial or Darkwave, but these do sound really good, even when the program material isn't as hotly mastered as current stuff.

All of the ones I used and not returned have had excellent rejection of external noise. I think the Shure and the Etymotics actually have more -db of reduction than active systems like the Bose ones which require power. This is especially important to me because of d-bags with cellphones on commuter trains. The life good earphones can save can be their own.

Headphones:
    I've had two pairs of Sony MDR-7506 phones since 1992. They sound great. They fold up. They're cheap. They're indestructible. 'nuff said

16. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i got the klipsch image one's. they sound great and use the mic and 3 button remote like the apple ones. the are designed for iphone and ipad. the only thing is the cord gets a little tangled and pinched if you dont take care of it. these are $150. if not these i highly recommend the klipsch s4i's.

17. CFoss macrumors 6502

My suggestion is that you don't try to be cheap with your headphones. As a teenager, my parents constantly purchased the cheapest pair they could find, and no matter how delicate I was, they would break within the month.

Now, this is probably overkill for yourself, but as a composer, I decided to go with Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium... my god. They are not only the most comfy headphones I have ever had the pleasure to wear, they sound amazing. They've got a perfect range, and are not dwarfed by the Bass like most headphones (such as the Dr. Dre Beats). Now, some people like a lot of Bass... but I prefer to hear everything in a song. These headphones do just that. And compared to every other pair of headphones I have ever had, these ones have lasted me for three years, and are still going strong.

Problem is, they tend to be around $350. As I said, this is most likely overkill for you. But let me ask this: Why spend $30 on a throwaway pair of headphones every year, when you can spend $100 for a pair that will last you for years?