Headphones

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by EricT43, Jun 20, 2013.

1. EricT43 macrumors regular

Hi folks, I'd like to ask for your recommendations and experience with headphones.

At home I use a Logitech G35 headset. I do most of my gaming and movie watching at night after my wife and son go to sleep, so I use the headphones often. While the sound is decent, and I like the sound isolation I get from those headphones, I find them to be a bit uncomfortable. The cans are a bit too small for me, and when extended fully, they are still a little too short for my head. The pads are vinyl coated, and my ears get hot and sweaty.

So, I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I prefer over the ear "cans" that will block outside noise. I understand that some headphones go over the ear but are "open", and I'd consider that if they are more comfortable to wear. Microphone is optional. In fact, if I can find something that would also work well on a plane with my iPhone, I'd be interested in that. I'd like the padding to be covered in cloth rather than vinyl.

Your thoughts?

2. karhong macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have recently switched from Sennheiser CX-300 ear-canal ear plugs to Momentum headphone. Yes, it supports iphone/ipad. It is over-the-ear and I also use it on the plane just fine. The padding is leather.
    I like the sound (loud simply), but Im no expert.

The only thing I dont like is the cord; it is heavy. The remote control drag the headset down (at least that's how i feel).

Rgds.

3. traumuhhtize macrumors member

I just ordered Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros and I've heard that they're super comfortable because of the velour ear pads. It's also over the ear if you're looking for that. They're also noise isolating and under $200. I got mine from eBay used for about $110.

4. EricT43 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

I've been doing a lot of research on headphones since I first posted. I feel that I need velour padding to have the comfort level that I want. The only ones in my price range that are closed-back (isolating) with velour pads are the Beyerdynamic DT770. However from reading the reviews, I don't think they will have the sound profile that I'm looking for. I like a mid-focused sound, and those are more bass and treble focused with laid-back mids.

So, I'm going to have to make a compromise somewhere. Either go with an open-back design, like the Sennheiser HD558 or HD598, and sacrifice isolation, which will mean basically just using them at home. Or, sacrifice comfort and go with something with pleather pads like the Audio Technica M50's or A900X. Or sacrifice sonic signature and go with the DT770's.

I'll give it some more consideration and let you all know what I end up going with.

5. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

What did you end up going with? Pros? Cons? I'm looking for a headset with mic for my teenager. Needs to do mid-2011 MBP (either plugged or usb) with over-the-ear design and still have space for glasses.

6. EricT43 thread starter macrumors regular

I ended up getting Sennheiser HD598's. They are great headphones for music, and more comfortable than the Logitechs, but they don't have a microphone. I rarely ever need one on my Mac, so this wasn't a big deal for me.

I don't think there is such a thing as an over the ear headphone with room for glasses. I do wear glasses, but I haven't really had a problem with it.