Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ABC5S

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Didn't know this. Maybe others did...

I live in Florida, and wanted AppleCare+. Though I was able to do it with my iPhone 6S+ 6 months ago, however with the rep on the phone, this time is was a no go. Rep from Apple, after waiting for close to an hour on the phone, took my zip code, and came back and said I would have to bring it into an Apple store. I did, and asked the rep at the store and was told the same thing (Verified) for us Floridian's.

Should have given my zip or State prior to all the hassles.

OlgaJ

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Florida
I'm in Florida and got AppleCare+ over the phone for my iPhone 6S+ a month ago. They did refer me to another department due to being in Florida.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Maybe I'm misinformed, but I was under the impression that Apple Care + was "walk in only" everywhere? What's to prevent someone from calling in and buying Apple Care + on a phone they just purchased and broke on the way home from the store?

Reactions: Phelony Jones

OlgaJ

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Florida
They did run a test on my phone remotely to make sure it was ok. I had purchased it less than 24 hours before at a place that did not offer AppleCare.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Maybe I'm misinformed, but I was under the impression that Apple Care + was "walk in only" everywhere? What's to prevent someone from calling in and buying Apple Care + on a phone they just purchased and broke on the way home from the store?
It's supposed to be. Apple tends to be lenient on that policy due to their large piggy bank, but this is exactly why you are required to bring the device in.

ABC5S

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I'm in Florida and got AppleCare+ over the phone for my iPhone 6S+ a month ago. They did refer me to another department due to being in Florida.

I was surprised when I was told. Purchased the iPhone 6s+ only a few months back and did the telephone AppleCare+ thingy without issues. This time, no. Don't know why I was told by two reps (one one the phone applecare+ section and one at the apple store) that it was a florida thing. I hate driving that far for only a five minute check out and purchase.

Ghostbuster386

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Orlando, FL
From what I understand it is due to some law that prevents selling anything that is not physical in Florida. I did buy AppleCare + over the phone last June for my Apple Watch but did have to talk to another department.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Local regulations, Fla has some different consumer laws and apple is just working within those confines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.