Heads up for Korean ipad owners.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mapmonkey, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Mapmonkey macrumors regular

This is heads up warning for iPad 1 and 2 owners residing in Korea.

Following on from the Seoul Court decision to ban iPad 1 and 2 sales together with iPhone 3GS and 4, I spotted this news item in the Joongang Daily.(http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2958880)

I'm trying to find out more about this part of the ruling and how this will actually affect iPad 2 owners.

The court has imposed a sales ban on Apple’s iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad 1 and 2 after a jury found that they breached two telecommunications-related patents owned by Samsung. Refurbished iPhones are also included in the ban, and the company is prohibited from offering after-sales service on all of the aforementioned products.

I have tried to find the equivalent "news" item in the Korean version but can't find it. Those familiar with the foreign language press here in Seoul will know that's often the case.

Anyway, aside from the politics. Does anyone out there have a Korean version of the court ruling in full? Or further details from the Korean press?

As an iPad 2 owner I'm obviously going to be pretty pissed if Apple can't fix my 5 month old iPad should it develop a fault. Even more so when you condsider it's a wifi only version so can't have fallen foul of Samsung's patents, can it?

My wife called the online Apple Store in Korea today and was told they don't know anything about it, but if something does happen they will post a message on the Korean Apple site. From this I guessed they actually do know something is happening but not exactly what! Call me a cynic if you want, but we know how Apple guys are on the phone.

So, anyone with Korean language skills who can help me get a clearer picture of what's happening please post your comments and I'll do the same.

I wil be emailing Steve Park who's Apple's representative here to see if he has any comment. But I am not sure he even exists, Apple Korea don't seem to comment on anything happening here.:rolleyes:

2. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Apple can't comment because South Korea have Samsung top executives watching Apple. :apple:

3. Mapmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Its probably the other way round, Apple can't comment because Samsung top executives have South Korea watching Apple.;)

I checked in at my local Apple reseller tonight and they are still waiting for further details. Both sides have appealed to a higher court so it's not going to happen anytime soon.

4. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I saw that article as well, and I'm considering on whether to get a refurb 2 because mine has some kind of dent on a corner. Thing is, though, my iPad is still functioning with no issues other than the dent.

5. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I am Korean, but fully trilingual (English, Korean, Japanese, in that order,) so I can probably find some useful stuff for you.

----------

I will be calling Apple Korea today, but just to let you know, if you have any defects, go call them up and see if you can get a refurb ASAP. I'm planning to do the same for my iPhone 4 :(

6. jonomo macrumors regular

Laws don't mean anything in Korea.. especially rulings by judges who are more like shamans making decisions by using tea leaves and chicken bones they toss around... I tell everyone this who lives in Korea, "laws are only suggestions here".. that's why companies like Samsung have absolutely no issues copying someone elses designs.. cheating in Korea is common, normal, and accepted behaviour..

7. dchao macrumors 6502a

LOL. Tit for tac rulling.

Population North America vs Korea = 500 million : 50 million

I wonder who is going to loose more. :rolleyes: