Heads Up on 4GB RAM Deal for iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CJC Off Road, Dec 14, 2008.

1. CJC Off Road macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm new to these forums. I just figured I'd give you guys a heads up on a RAM deal that I picked up yesterday for my iMac. Fry's has this RAM for $19.99 after a $15 rebate. I installed it last night in my 24" iMac and it performs flawlessly. Here's a link for the older aluminum iMacs (PC5300):
    http://shop3.frys.com/product/55039...9TxOLHmrg**.node3?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
    Here's a link for the newer aluminum iMacs (PC6400):
    http://shop3.frys.com/product/5599280?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Good eye! Unfortunately, I don't have the time today to pick some of those up.

3. CJC Off Road thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! One thing to keep in mind is that those links allow you to order online so even if you don't have a Fry's nearby you can still order the RAM online. Also, the only way to get this price in-store is to order it online with in-store pickup (which is what I did), as the price at the store is $69.99.

4. Joe888 macrumors member

Joe888

can this also work on the newer 20 inch imac models?

5. tivoboy macrumors 68030

fool

not to sound like a fool, but is this also the same ram modules for the slightly older macbook pros, C2D from a few months ago?

Are only the NEWEST macbooks pros DDR3?

6. CJC Off Road thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the second link would be what you'd use for the latest iMacs. To verify, click on the Apple logo on the top left side of your screen and click about this computer. If it says that your RAM is ddr2 667 MHz, you'll want the pc5300 from the first link. If it says that your RAM is ddr2 800 MHz, you'll want the pc6400 from the second link.

7. CJC Off Road thread starter macrumors newbie

No problem. If you have a few month old Macbook Pro, you'll want the RAM from the first link, as your computer uses ddr2 667 MHz RAM. Only the newest refreshed models utilize ddr3.

8. cleetusvandamm macrumors member

didnt you just say dont ever buy Crucial in another thread??:confused: