Heads up on a good, cheap laptop bag...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dewey decibel, Dec 3, 2007.

1. dewey decibel macrumors member

Hey guys, I just ordered this for my Macbook from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834996048

It's a Brenthaven Metro, and it seems like an incredible bag for the price. I haven't seen one in person yet, but I have seen the Metro Lite, which is a much more rugged bag than the others I've looked at and looks about the same as this one. Although the Newegg listing says it's for lappys up to 14.1", the Brenthaven site says 15.4", so you could get it for a 15" Macbook Pro, too. I double checked, the model number is 2380, exact same as this:

http://www.brenthaven.com/catalog-metro-black.html

BTW, Newegg also has them in light blue, too.

2. dewey decibel thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to bump this one-

The bag came last week, but I was out of town so I just got it now. All I can say is, it kicks ass. It's a better bag than those I saw for $60+, and for $20 it's an absolute steal. I actually feel safe caring around my Macbook in this as it really is well padded. Seriously guys (and girls), jump on this....

3. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Agree -- I have this bag and one other by this company for my 17" MBP.

4. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

brenthaven rocks

I had their courier bag for my 12" and now I am using their prolite II. They really are a cut above targus and such.

5. jeff3221 macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. I have been looking for a good, cheap case and this is it. I will be ordering it.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

8. jeff3221 macrumors regular

I ordered the original one. the two free ones don't look as padded or as spacious. I also love the spell check on safari. I will post a review once I get it.

9. jeff3221 macrumors regular

I just got my package. I ordered it yesterday and it is already here. Fastest shipping ever!

So The macbook fits quite snugly inside with padding from all directions. there is a big compartment in the front(zippered) with lots of space inside (about 7 inches by 12 inches tall and can reach 2 inches in depth. there is also a velcro compartment in the back that is the length of the bag. It also has a nice removable padded shoulder handle. I would defiantly recommend this bag and if you have any questions, ask.

10. rogerh macrumors member

do you think this bag could fit a 6x11 wacom intuous 3 tablet with a 15" macbook pro?

11. jeff3221 macrumors regular

12. dewey decibel thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure- did I spell something wrong? :eek:

I don't know what that is either. I was a little worried at first as the description says laptops up to 15.4", and I was worried it wouldn't be snug enough for the smaller Macbook. But as Jeff said, it's is pretty snug. The insides are sort of curved in, and I could see that if you had a larger laptop they would flex to allow it to fit. But I don't know what the tablet is exactly.

Keep in mind, it is a smaller bag. I can almost get it into my old school single pocket Jansport backback. You can carry most of your gear- adapter, cords, mouse, etc- but if you have a lot more stuff you may need another bag.

Wow, that's crazy!

13. jeff3221 macrumors regular

no, I just like the feature that every program on the mac has spell check.

14. dewey decibel thread starter macrumors member

Word! :D

15. JesLam07 macrumors regular

JesLam07

I dunno, that case would worry me. I mean I only paid like 22-23 ish dollars for my case, but it was on sale. Mine looks more padded than that one. I'll stick with mine, but that looks like a sweet deal for someone with a budget.

Nice Find.

16. jeff3221 macrumors regular

It is originally a $60 case. It is extremely padded.

17. JesLam07 macrumors regular

JesLam07

That may be true, but I'm very over protective on my electronic. I've seen too many bad things happen to electronic devices to not be over protective.

Why is this case on sale anyways?

I mean did this place just decide to shave like $40 off of the price tag for fun?

What's the story? Anyone Know?

It seems to be a good product, just not my style.

18. dewey decibel thread starter macrumors member

What bag do you have now? The reason I got this one is because it was more padded than anything else I'd seen. Especially any neoprene sleeve, but also the other Incase bags, Marware bags, Swiss Gear and anything they had at Best Buy or Office depot. Seriously, I feel like I could drop this bag and not worry too much about hurting my Macbook.

I was wondering that myself (being the paranoid person I am). What I realized is this product, although available at the time, was listed as "discontinued" on most sites (including the Apple Store). I think it was being replaced by the Metro Lite, which looks like the same exact bag, just a bit lighter (and more expensive). Anyway, the regular Metro bag isn't listed in the Apple Store anymore, so I assume they sold out of their remaining stock.

19. JesLam07 macrumors regular

JesLam07

The case I use for my MacBook Pro is Kensington. It's my style and it's Padded, which is what I was looking for. I don't remember what model is it but it has some special shock thing in case you drop it and it's Recommended by The American Chiropractic Association, which is good because I have a bad back. So After reading a few reviews and some information on it, I picked it up at Circuit City. It's a sweet case.

That case just didn't look very padded, but pictures can be Deceiving.

Hmm Discontinued? At least it's cool that people can get it for a sweet price.

20. crazydrumma macrumors regular

Are there any good backpacks/ bags that I can check out for my new macbook? Sorry to add yet another question, I just didn't feel like creating a new thread for that...:D

21. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

The Brenthaven II was the first bag I purchased for my 15" MBP, and it's well-made. It's a snug yet secure fit, especially for going through TSA lines at the airport. The strap is extremely comfortable, too.

That being said, there isn't much room for anything else other than a power supply, a notebook mouse, and a few extras. Forget about hauling files, unless they are extremely thin.

I opted to go with a larger case made by ebags with much more storage, and lighter in weight (weight is a big issue w/my bad neck). But I put the Brenthaven's strap on the new Ebags bag and it was a perfect match for me.

Here's the one I ended up using (and still do to this day): http://www.ebags.com/ebags/unxpected_slim_brief/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=88860